INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

GAYATHRI RAJASHEKAR'S POEM

 A POEM BY 

GAYATHRI RAJASHEKAR

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)











In order to sleep
you too start pestering for a tale
like a little girl .
Once again I set out to tell
the very same tale that we had waded through -
beginning from the very beginning
leaving nothing.

At the opening of the story
when I start describing the time of our first meeting
“It was just then that you saw me?
But my pursuing you had started even before that” say you
with a sulking face.
“If asked why it was not revealed
‘That’s our innate pride’ say thee
forming womanhood into a brigade.

You are well-versed in the art of
pinching with the eyes and
swinging the cradle with cool caressing words
Sometimes conflicting
stinging with words
and showering love with the eyes_
such a hellish enchantress you’re.

‘You’re the lightning blinding me with a smile;
and I am the torrential downpour pursuing you said I.
“I’m deadly lighting; resurrecting rain thee
‘I’m lightning that vanish in a second.
Thee the rain immersing me and prevailing end to end’
Said thee.
‘If so I’m the Lightning, You the rain said I’.
‘The rain would be all teary bringing darkness
Lightning as the sovereign of smile
Would radiate the surrounding’ said thee.
Two-tongued serpentine queen
What else to name you? My love

‘You appeared to be all fire
I’m steeped in fear unable to move closer
Observed I.
“What, scarcity of water” teased thee.

For not professing your love
You cited as reason – being unemployed
The way head is shaved
so as not to be pricked by the thorn in rose.

At last armed with employment I arrived
and captured your love from you’re your gullet.

Suffice your tears
that burst forth then
with dam broke open
for holding close to my heart for years and years.

Gayatri Rajashekar



தூங்கவேண்டுமெனில் சிறுமியைப்போல நீயும் கதைசொல்லச்சொல்லி நச்சரிக்கத்தொடங்கிவிடுகிறாய்
மீண்டும் நாம் கடந்த அதே கதையை
ஆதியிலிருந்து அச்சுபிசகாமல்
சொல்லத்தொடங்குகிறேன்
கதைமுகப்பில் நான் உன்னை சந்தித்த தருணத்தை விளக்க முற்படுகையில்
"அப்பொழுதுதான் என்னைப்பார்த்தாயா?
நான் அதற்குமுன்பே உன்னை தொடரத்தொடங்கிவிட்டேன்" என
முகத்தை தூக்கி வைத்துக்கொள்கிறாய்
காட்டிக்கொள்ளாததன் காரணம் கேட்டால்
"எங்களின் இறுமாப்பு அது" என்கிறாய்
பெண்மையை அணிதிரட்டி
கண்களால் கிள்ளிவிட்டு தண்வார்த்தையால் தொட்டிலாட்டும்
வித்தை வாய்க்கப்பெற்றவள் நீ
சிலநேரம் முரணாய்
வார்த்தையால் கொட்டிவிட்டு
கண்களால் காதல் கொட்டும்
கிராதகி நீ
புன்னகை புரிந்தென் கண்களைப்பறிக்கும் மின்னல் நீ
உன்னைப்பின்தொடரும்
பெருமழை நானென்றேன்
"கொல்லும் மின்னல் நான்;
உயிர்ப்பிக்கும் மழை நீ
மாயமாகும் மின்னல் நான்;
என்னை அமிழ்த்தி எங்கும் வியாபிக்கும் மழை நீ" என்றாய்
அப்படியெனில்
நானே மின்னல் நீ மழையென்றேன்
"மழை அழுமூஞ்சியாய் இருள் கவியும்
மின்னல் புன்னகை மன்னனாய்
வெளிச்சம் கூட்டும்" என்றாய்
ரெட்டை நா கொண்ட நாகினி
உன்னை வேறென்னவென்பது?
நீ நெருப்பாய் தெரிந்தாய்
நெருங்கவே பயமென்றேன்
"உனக்கென்ன தண்ணீர் பஞ்சமா"
என பரிகசித்தாய்
காதலைச்சொல்லாததற்கு வேலையில்லையென காரணம் காட்டினாய்
ரோஜா முள் குத்துமென்று சிகையைச்சிரைத்த கதையாய்
ஒருவழியாய் வேலையுடன் வந்து உன்
தொண்டைக்குழியினின்று காதலைக் கைப்பற்றிவிட்டேன்
அப்போது அணை உடைப்பெடுத்த
உன் அழுகை போதும்
காலமெல்லாம் என் நெஞ்சோடு அணைத்திருக்க.

--காயத்ரி

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE