INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, August 18, 2023

RAJAJI RAJAGOPALAN

 A POEM BY

RAJAJI RAJAGOPALAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

IF I WERE TO SEE GOD….
I would ask for a new world
One and the same language the world over
I would ask for nations sans boundaries
Ethnic groups sans enemies
I would ask for a reign where justice reigns supreme
I would ask for justice without laws
Leaders with no warring tendencies
_ being benign and benevolent rulers
I would ask for a casteless society
Towns and villages sans hutments
Strangers not ungrateful
Friends not selfish
I would ask for kith and kin
who eat with one and all
In their place
Being well-knit in harmony
I would ask those haves to share what they have
And the have-nots to strive hard
I would ask for houses without fences
Hearts not fake
Those kindhearted ones helping voluntarily
And patrons donating all too generously.
I would ask for the flood to subside
Volcano to be contained within itself
I would ask the wind and rain to be merciful
And all the oceans to stay tranquil
I would ask for the pride of the sea not to be
The lashing rain to be contained
The fire of the thunders to extinguish
Nature’s fury to cool down
I would ask for the ozone world to be saved
The harmful gases to be removed
I would ask for the ecological safety
And those muddy to learn things goody.
I would ask for the rain forests to flourish
So also the wealth of minerals
I would ask for the oil riches to spring and swell
And for Nature’s bounty to be shared well.
I would ask for the frontier region to turn frozen
I would ask for the polar bears to multiply
I would ask for the snow-species to live on
And the chill forests to be preserved.
I would ask for the deadly bacteria to be wiped out
I would ask for the planets to be organized
I would ask for global warming to go down
I would ask for the oceans’ surface not to rise.
*** *** ***
I would ask for the rights of the working class
I would ask those reveling to realize
I would ask for the workers to join hands and unite
And to have equal share of the wealth of the world.
I would ask for an exclusive land for the Tamils
And peace and harmony to prevail there
I would ask for the love of war to rot.
and people with empathy to speak and interact.
I would ask for shrines without doors
And arts to flourish in temples
I would ask for religions sans priests
And for the coatings of religions to come off.
I would ask for Thirukkural in every household
And poems free from the ritualistic grammar
And for music to embellish our lives
I would ask for library everywhere
*** *** ***
I would ask for patience in parents
And compliance in children
Simplicity in women
And courteous disposition in the elders.
I would ask for zeal and fervor in the youth
For being kind to the have-nots
I would ask for the efforts of the poor to bear fruit
I would ask for those leading a life of begging
to become extinct.
I would ask for modesty in the better-half
Love in the heart of he who embraces
I would ask for the same heart day and night
And patience and tolerance in the behavior of both upright
*** *** ***
I would ask for rights to women
To enumerate virtue for men
I would ask for a way to know my wife’s thoughts
And to respect her womanhood and motherhood.
I would ask for an exclusive god for Love
And kindness in the hearts of young women
Would ask for young men to be compassionate to them
Would ask for decorum even in illicit love
Oh, I would ask for humans
whom Humanity hails and salutes!


இறைவனைக் கண்டால்….
இனியொரு புதிய உலகினைக் கேட்பேன்
உலக்ம் முழுவதும் ஒரே மொழி கேட்பேன்
எல்லைகள் அற்ற நாடுகள் கேட்பேன்
எதிரிகள் இல்லா இனங்களைக் கேட்பேன்
சமத்துவ நெறியில் அரசொன்று கேட்பேன்
சட்டங்களில்லா நீதியைக் கேட்பேன்
போர்க்குணமற்ற தலைவர்கள் கேட்பேன்
பாராளுவதிலும் பெருந்தன்மை கேட்பேன்
சாதிகள் ஒழிந்த சமுதாயம் கேட்பேன்
சேரிகளில்லா ஊர்களைக் கேட்பேன்
செய்நன்றி மறவா அயலவர் கேட்பேன்
சுயநலம் கருதா நண்பர்கள் கேட்பேன்
ஊரோடு உண்ணும் உறவினர் கேட்பேன்
உறவினரிடையே இணக்கத்தைக் கேட்பேன்
பொருளுடையோர்கள் பகிர்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
பொருளில்லாதோர் முயன்றிடக் கேட்பேன்
வேலிகளில்லா வீடுகள் கேட்பேன்
போலிகளற்ற இதயங்கள் கேட்பேன்
பரிந்தே உதவும் தொண்டர்கள் கேட்பேன்
வாரிக் கொடுக்கும் வள்ளல்கள் கேட்பேன்
ஆற்றினில் வெள்ளம் அடங்கிடக் கேட்பேன்
எரிமலை தன்னுள் ஒடுங்கிடக் கேட்பேன்
காற்றிலும் மழையிலும் கருணையைக் கேட்பேன்
சமுத்திரம் அனைத்திலும் சாந்தியைக் கேட்பேன்
ஆழியின் அகந்தை அழிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
மாரியின் சீற்றம் முடங்கிடக் கேட்பேன்
இடிகளின் அக்கினி அணைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
ஊழியின் உக்கிரம் ஆறிடக் கேட்பேன்
ஓசோன் உலகைக் காத்திடக் கேட்பேன்
அழுக்கு வாய்வுகள் அழிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
சூழலின் தூய்மை போற்றிடக் கேட்பேன்
சேற்றினைக் கழிப்போர் கற்றிடக் கேட்பேன்
மாரிக்காடுகள் செழித்திடக் கேட்பேன்
தாதுக்கள் திரவியம் தழைத்திடக் கேட்பேன்
எண்ணேய் வளங்கள் ஊறிடக் கேட்பேன்
இயற்கையின் செல்வம் பகிர்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
தூந்தர பூமி உறைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
துருவக் கரடிகள் தளைத்திடக் கேட்பேன்
உறைபனி விலங்குகள் வாழ்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
குளிர்நிலக் காடுகள் காத்திடக் கேட்பேன்.
உயிர்கொல்லிக் கிருமிகள் அழிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
அண்டத்துக் கோளங்கள் ஒழுங்கினைக் கேட்பேன்’
அகிலத்து வெம்மை தணிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
ஆழியின் மட்டம் அடங்கிடக் கேட்பேன்
*** *** ***
உழைக்கும் மக்கள் உரிமை கேட்பேன்
உண்டு களிப்போர் உணர்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
பாட்டாளி வர்க்கம் இணைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
பாரினில் செல்வம் பகிர்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
தமிழருக்கென்று நிலமொன்று கேட்பேன்
நிலத்தினில் ஒற்றுமை நிலவிடக் கேட்பேன்
போரினில் நாட்டம் போய்விடக் கேட்பேன்
பரிந்துணர் நெஞ்சுடன் பேசிடக் கேட்பேன்
கதவுகள் இல்லாக் கோயில்கள் கேட்பேன்
கோயிலில் கலைகள் வளர்ந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
சாமிமார் இல்லாச் சமயங்கள் கேட்பேன்
சமயங்கள் சாயங்கள் கலைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
இல்லங்கள் அனைத்திலும் திருக்குறள் கேட்பேன்
இலக்கணமற்ற கவிதைகள் கேட்பேன்
இசையினில் வாழ்வு இயைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
ஊரெங்கும் நூலகம் அமைந்திடக் கேட்பேன்.
*** *** ***
பெற்றோர்களிடத்தே பொறுமையைக் கேட்பேன்
பிள்ளைகளிடத்தே பணிவினைக் கேட்பேன்
பெண்களிடத்தே எளிமையைக் கேட்பேன்
பெரியோரிடத்தே பண்பினைக் கேட்பேன்.
இளைஞர்கள் மத்தியில் எழுச்சியைக் கேட்பேன்
இல்லாதோர்க்கும் இரங்கிடக் கேட்பேன்
ஏழைகள் முயற்சியில் ஏற்றத்தைக் கேட்பேன்
இரந்தே வாழ்பவர் ஒழிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
அகமுடையாளிடம் அடக்கத்தைக் கேட்பேன்
அணைப்பசன் மனதில் அன்பினைக் கேட்பேன்
இரவிலும் பகலிலும் ஒருமனம் கேட்பேன்
இருவரின் போக்கிலும் பொறுமையைக் கேட்பேன்
பெண்களுக்குரிமை பிறப்பிக்கக் கேட்பேன்
ஆண்களின் கற்பு உரைத்திடக் கேட்பேன்
மனையாளின் மனதை அறிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
மங்கையைத் தாயாய் மதித்திடக் கேட்பேன்
காதலுக்கென்றொரு கடவுளைக் கேட்பேன்
கன்னியர் நெஞ்சினில் கருணையைக் கேட்பேன்
காளையர் பெண்களைப் பரிந்திடக் கேட்பேன்
களவியல் வாழ்விலும் கண்ணியம் கேட்பேன்.
மானுடம் மதிக்கும் மனிதர்கள் கேட்பேன்!

மணற்காடர்(ராஜாஜி ராஜகோபாலன்)

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE