INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, August 19, 2023

BOOMA ESWARAMOORTHY

 A POEM BY

BOOMA ESWARAMOORTHY

Rendered in English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


Of course, I was wearing the seat belt.

I had the license too.
Blocking my way with his hand outstretched
He asked me to stop aside.
While alighting I remembered-
‘This is daughter’s car; wonder where she has kept
the relevant papers
Realizing my predicament I gave two Hundreds
and left.
Not so big an amount - considering my age
he said nothing further.
After half-an-hour
I returned along the same way.
Stopped at the fruit shop
He who bought green grapes ahead of me
Tturned.
The same one.
“For my children” said he.
Living for the sake of children
and living with them
are after all the father’s duty, right?
It’s alright.
ஸீட் பெல்ட் அணிந்திருந்தேன்
ஒட்டுநர் உரிமமும் இருந்தது
கைநீட்டி மறித்து ஓரமாக நிற்கச் சொன்னார்
கீழிறங்கியபோது ஞாபகம் வந்தது
இது மகளின் கார் இதற்கான பேப்பர்களை
இங்கே எங்கே வைத்திருக்கிறாளோ
நிலமை உணர்ந்து இரண்டு நூறுகளை
கொடுத்து அகன்றேன்
சிறிய தொகைதான் என் வயது கருதி
மேலே ஒன்றும் சொல்லவில்லை
அரைமணி நேரம் கழித்து
அதே பாதையில் திரும்பினேன்
பழக்கடையில் நிறுத்தினேன்
எனக்கு முன்னே பச்சை திராக்ஷை வாங்கியவர்
திரும்பினார். அவரேதான்.
குழந்தைகளுக்காக என்றார்
குழந்தைகளுக்காக வாழ்வதும்
குழந்தைகளோடு வாழ்வதும்
தகப்பனின் கடமைதானே
போகட்டும்..

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE