INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, February 17, 2023

BOOMA ESWARAMOORTHY

 A POEM BY

BOOMA ESWARAMOORTHY

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

It was a cement seat in the shape of the letter S made to lie sideways horizontally
Since long I had not seen him. He touched and felt me.
‘Why are you touching me?’
‘I would feel like touching and feeling a leaf of the tree-branches. If I do so I would feel as if I am touching the very life of the whole tree. This is also same as that.’
‘Am I alive’ asked I
In response he appealed ‘Can you tell me a story?’
I agreed.
What is in my mind I will tell thee. You should ponder over and tell me whether it is a story.
He nodded positively.
‘Upon the slope of a Kurinji land appearing as if the sky you see up above has descended within your reach - A village. The people who lived there had immense love for the moon. Songs and stories about the moon were aplenty there. Each one of them excelled in being a distinct story-teller. Each household had the names Nilaa, Nilavan etc. Even during day their minds were preoccupied with moon. Their gods wore without fail either full moon or crescent moon.
One day all the people called the Moon in unison.
The Moon came.
‘Henceforth you need not go anywhere. Remain with us here.
The Moon didn’t answer.
At least for a day you should be with us without being visible to others’ eyes.’
After that monthly once the moon is not seen by any human.
I wanted to touch a leaf. In leaf I touch the roots also’ he observed.

S என்ற ஆங்கில எழுத்தை பக்கவாட்டில் படுக்கப் போட்டிருப்பது போலான சிமிண்ட் இருக்கை அது.
ரொம்ப நாளாயிற்று நான் இவரைப் பார்த்து. அவர் என்னை தொட்டுப் பார்த்தார்.
ஏன் தொட்டுப் பார்க்கிறீர்கள்.
மரக் கிளைகளின் ஏதோ ஒரு இலையை தொட்டுப் பார்க்க வேண்டும் போல தோன்றும்.அப்படித் தொட்டால் மொத்த மரத்தின் உயிரையும்தொடுவதாக உணர்வேன். அப்படித்தான் இது
உயிர் இருக்கிறதா எனக்கு என்றேன்
அதற்கு அவர் எனக்கொரு கதை இன்று சொல்ல முடியுமா என்றார்
நான் சம்மதித்தேன்
மனதில் ஓடுவதை உங்களுக்கு சொல்கிறேன் அது கதையா, இல்லையாயென நீங்கள்தான் யோசித்துச் சொல்ல வேண்டும்.
இணக்கமாக தலையசைத்தார்.
உயரமான குறிஞ்சி நிலத்தின் சரிவில் ,கண் எதிரே தோன்றும் வானம்
கையருகே வந்தது போல , ஒரு கிராமம்.அங்கு வாழ்ந்து வருபவர்களுக்கு நிலாவின் மீது சொல்லி முடியாத அன்பு.நிலா பற்றின பாடல்கள் கதைகள் ஏராளம்.நிலா பற்றி ஒவ்வொருவரும் தனித்த தன்மையுடன் கதை சொல்லிகளாகவும் இருந்தார்கள். நிலா அல்லது நிலவன் என்ற பெயர்கள் வீட்டுக்கு வீடுஇருந்தன. பகலிலும் அவர்கள் நிலாவின் ஞாபகமாகவே இருந்தார்கள். அவர்களின் கடவுள்கள் முழு நிலவையோ பிறையையோ அணிந்துதான் இருந்தார்கள்.
ஒரு நாள் அவர்கள் அனைவரும் ஒரே குரலில் நிலாவை அழைத்தார்கள்.
நிலா வந்தது.
இனி நீ எங்கேயும் போக வேண்டாம்.எங்களோடு இருந்து விடு
நிலா பதில் சொல்லவில்லை
மற்றவர்கள் கண்ணில் படாமல் ஒரு நாளாவது எங்களோடு இருந்துதான் ஆக வேண்டும்.
அதன் பின் நிலா மாதம் ஒரு முறை யார் கண்ணிலும் படுவதில்லை
இலையொன்றை தொட நினைத்தேன். இலையில் வேர்களையும் தொடுகிறேன் என்கிறார்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE