INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

RIYAS QURANA

 A POEM BY

RIYAS QURANA

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Daft)



THE NIGHTMARE



On the day when the State banned the import of 643 products
For the first ever time at night
an underwear appeared in my dream.
Then
It began donning the role of a
‘character actor’
and acting in the dream.
For any and all those who have but a lone underwear
This horror of a dream would come without fail.
I have no gold-cakes
Nor currency, nor costly things
My paled and faded underwear
is made into a costly affair
in just one announcement
of the State.
I am thankful to it.
with the arrival of night
I turn all tensed up so much
like the rich.
In my small house
I have no place to
hide it to save it from being stolen.
It is not a sound strategy to
conceal it in places known to one and all.
Not knowing what to do
I went on digging the house fear-filled _
My son eyed at me bewildered.
Even the rats would not have smelt it
even once
for fun
Yet I stand there frozen
in the manner of a terrorist
anguished at not finding any place
to hide his gun
I stand aghast
with all my senses frozen
More so my brain
Alas, can they ever realize
the anguish I experience
in wading through each night?
That my underwear would have to
be afflicted thus
That my life would be gripped by
such a harrowing sorrow
I had never imagined.
Those who wear no underwear
are indeed blessed, I swear.
If by any chance it is stolen
the whole family would have
to starve.
Even remaining hungry
and saving money
Where I am I to buy
an underwear? Oh, My!
It was when I was contemplating thus
the sound of coins scattering on the ground
could be heard.
Startled I woke up
Rising hastily I hurried and confirming
that it was indeed there.
heaving a sigh of relief
“Thank god, I have saved it for the day’
I lifted it all too softly
and wore it.
While walking and remaining stationed
all my attention was turned towards it
That such an opportunity to shower
so much love on my underwear
had never come my way is another matter
These days announcements from the State
have become Sermon-like.
Never fail to abide by them.
Lifting the ban won’t they relieve me
from this historic tragedy
is my longing and great expectation
said he the man unknown
whom I had met in my dream last night.

*Underwear is one of hte goods the import of which is banned by the Srilankan Government.

கனவு காணுங்கள்

ரியாஸ் குரானா

643 பொருட்களின் இறக்குமதிக்கு
அரசு, தடைவிதித்த அன்றிரவுதான்
முதன் முதலாக எனது கனவில்
ஜட்டி பிரசன்னமானது
பிறகு, ஒவ்வொரு கனவையும்
தொடங்கிவைப்பதும், முடித்துவைப்பதுமாக
குணச்சித்திர வேடமேற்று
கனவில் நடிக்கத் தொடங்கிவிட்டது
ஒரேயொரு ஜட்டியை வைத்திருக்கும் எவருக்கும்
திகிலுாட்டும் இந்தக் கனவு வராமலா இருக்கும்?
தங்கக் கட்டிகள் என்னிடமில்லை
பணமோ, விலையுயர்ந்த பொருட்களோ என்னிடமில்லை
ஒரு அறிவித்தலில், மங்கிப்போன எனது ஜட்டியை
விலைமதிப்பற்ற பொக்கிஷமாக
மாற்றிவிட உதவியது இந்த அரசாங்கம்தான்
அதற்கு நன்றி சொல்லக் கடமைப்பட்டுள்ளேன்
இரவானால் போதும், செல்வந்தர்கள் போல்
பதட்டம் என்னில் தொற்றிக்கொள்கிறது
களவு போய்விடாமல் காப்பாற்ற
மறைப்பதற்கு எனது சிறிய வீட்டில்
எந்த மறைவிடமும் இல்லை
எல்லோருக்கும் தெரிந்த இடங்களில்
பதுக்கிவைப்பது சரியான ராஜதந்திரமல்ல
செய்வதறியாது திகைத்து,
அச்சத்தோடு வீட்டைக் கிண்டிக் கிளறும் என்னை
மகன் விநோதமாகப் பார்க்கிறான்
எலிகள் கூட, ஒருமுறையேனும்
பகடிக்கும் முகர்ந்து பார்த்திருக்காதுதான்
எனினும், துப்பாக்கியை மறைத்துவைப்பதற்கு
கலங்கி நிற்கும் போராளிபோல
அஞ்சும் கெட்டு அறிவும் கெட்டு நிற்கிறேன்
ஒவ்வொரு இரவையும் கடப்பதற்கு
நான் படும் அவஸ்தை
அவர்களுக்கு எங்கே புரியப்போகிறது?
எனது ஜட்டிக்கு
இப்படியொரு சோதனை வருமென்றோ
என் வாழ்வில் சகிக்கமுடியாத துயரம்
பிடித்தாட்டுமென்றோ
நான் கற்பனைகூட பண்ணியதில்லை
ஜட்டியே போடாதவர்கள் பாக்கியசாலிகள்
தப்பித் தவறி களவுபோனால்,
குடும்பமே ஒரு நாள் பட்டிணி கிடக்க நேரிடும்
பட்டிணி கிடந்து பணம் சேமித்தால் கூட
ஜட்டியை எங்குதான் வாங்குவது?
இப்படி யோசித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும் போதுதான்
தரையில், சில்லறைக் காசுகள் விழுந்து
சிதறும் சத்தம் கேட்டது
திடுக்கிட்டு எழுந்துவிட்டேன்
அவசர அவசரமாக எழுந்து சென்று
“இருக்கிறதா” என உறுதி செய்துவிட்டு
அப்பாடா, எப்படியோ இன்று
காப்பாற்றியாகிவிட்டது என
நிம்மதிப் பெருமூச்சோடு பூப்போல எடுத்து
நுாதனமாக மாட்டிக்கொண்டேன்
நடக்கும்போதும், இருக்கும்போதும் கூட
எனது கவனமெல்லாம் அங்குதான் மையமிட்டிருந்தது
இதற்கு முன் எப்போதும், ஜட்டியை நேசிப்பதற்கு
வாய்ப்புக்கள் கிடைத்ததே இல்லை என்பது வேறு விசயம்
இப்போதெல்லாம், அரசாங்கச் செய்திகள்
வேதவாக்குப் போல் ஆகிவிட்டது
தவறவிடுவதேயில்லை
தடையை நீக்கி, எனது வரலாற்றுத் துயரத்தை
துடைக்கமாட்டார்களா என்ற ஏக்கமும் எதிர்பார்ப்பும்தான்
என்றார், நேற்றிரவு யாரென்றுதெரியாத
கனவில் சந்தித்த அந்த மனிதர்.
@ இறக்குமதிக்கு இலங்கை அரசு தடைவித்த பொருட்களில், ஜட்டியும் ஒன்று.

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE