INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

DINA. K.

 A POEM BY

DINA. K.

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


Initially I thought he was insane
Only on observing keenly i could see
that he was conversing with a tree.
I was surprised
Hiding my astonishment I stood unseen
and watched
The tree complained to him of the birds
not paying the balance rent of days bygone
and the noise caused by the Mynas
sitting on the electric wires
Also
it expressed regret
for being stationed there
from start to finish.
It would be maddening.
What can he do
Poor he….
So he kept quiet
At last while leaving
‘I want a ripe leaf’, said he.
Smiling the tree shed one for his sake.
Long after he had gone
I approached the tree
with a handful of sand.
In the meanwhile
I had memorized the tree’s language.
It told me
the same complaints
the same grievances
I asked playfully.
But just as the ripe leaf
it gave me the roots too.
After that
carrying the root in a handful of soil
I approached the next tree.
Thus
I have fashioned a
desert..
Dina K

முதலில் அவரை
பைத்தியம் என்று
நினைத்தேன்
உற்றுப் பார்த்தபோது தான்
தெரிந்தது அவர்
மரத்துடன் மிகச்சாதரணமாக
பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்தார்
ஆச்சரியமாக இருந்தது
ஆச்சரியத்தை
மறைவாக நின்று
கவனித்தேன்
பறவைகள் பழைய வாடகை
பாக்கி கொடுக்காதது குறித்தும்
மின்சாரக் கம்பியில்
அமரும் மைனாக்களின்
இரைச்சலைக் குறித்தும்
அவரிடம்
புகார்களை தெரிவித்தது மரம்
மேலும்
பிறந்ததிலிருந்து
ஒரே இடத்தில்
வாழ்வது
குறித்து மிகவும் வருத்தப்பட்டது
பாவம்
பைத்தியம் பிடித்தது போல இருக்கும்
அவரால் என்ன செய்துவிட முடியும்
அமைதியாக இருந்தார்
கடைசியாகப் போகும் போது
எனக்கொரு பழுத்த இலை வேண்டும் என்றார்
மரம் சிரித்தபடி அவருக்காக உதிர்த்துக் கொடுத்தது
அவர் சென்றபின்
வெகுநேரம் கழித்து
ஒரு பிடி மண்ணுடன்
மரத்திடம் சென்றேன்
அதற்குள் மரத்தின் மொழியை
மனனம் செய்திருந்தேன்
அதே புகார்களை
அதே வருத்தத்தை
என்னிடமும் தெரிவித்தது
விளையாட்டாகத் தான்
கேட்டேன்
பழுத்த இலையைப் போலவே
கேட்டதும் வேரைத்
தந்துவிட்டது மரம்
அதன்பிறகு
பிடி மண்ணில் வேரைச்
சுமந்தபடி அடுத்த மரத்திடம்
சென்றேன்
இப்படியாக
நான் ஒரு
பாலைவனத்தை
உருவாக்கினேன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE