INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, November 6, 2020

THAMIZHNATHY'S POEM

 A POEM BY

THAMIZHNATHY

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

These days hunger is my choice.
Not that I starve for want of food.
In rainy days with torrential downpour
In skin-scorching hot sunny noontimes
always there is a roof over my head
‘Till you settle your dues, I will stay put at your entrance’
_ No such harassing moneylender
This great grand life survives
in the mercy of friendship.
Yet
when I wake up at dawn
I open my eyes in the company of sorrow’s
snakes newborn.
As I grow
the infant-snakes too keep growing.
I am not able to doze in the shade of
snakes swollen and bloated in the noon.
When evening comes
O, my one and only Love! Sorrow!
Multiplying into thousands of snakes
You approach me.
Clasps me chokingly tight
That nights are for sleep has
turned into a veritable lie.
One day….
Just one day
Deceiving night – day – week –
the hands of clock
I should blissfully sleep somehow.
Won’t someone adopt these little snakes
at least for now…?

Thamizhnathy Nathy

இந்நாட்களில் பசி எனது தெரிவு.
உணவு கிட்டாது பசித்துக் கிடப்பதில்லை.
கொட்டும் மழை நாட்களில்
தோல் கருக்கும் வெயில் மதியங்களில்
எப்போதும் தலைக்கு மேல் கூரையுண்டு
‘இக்கணம் தந்தாலன்றி வாசல் விட்டு நகரேன்’என
கழுத்திறுக்கும் கடன்காரர் எவருமில்லை.
நட்பின் கருணையில்
பிழைத்திருக்கிறது இப்பெருவாழ்வு.
எனினும்
காலையில் விழித்தெழும்போது
துயரத்தின் பாம்புக் குட்டிகளுடனே
கண் விழிக்கிறேன்.
நாள் வளர வளர
வளர்கின்றன பாம்புக் குட்டிகள்.
மதியத்தில் பெருத்துவிட்ட பாம்புகளது நிழலில்
என்னால் கண்ணயர முடிவதில்லை.
மாலையானதும்
எனது ஒரேயொரு காதலே! துயரமே!
பல்லாயிரம் பாம்புகளாய் பெருகி
என்னை நெருங்குகிறாய்.
நெருக்குகிறாய்.
இரவுகள் உறங்குவதற்கானவை என்பது பொய்யாயிற்று.
ஒருநாள்…
ஒரேயொரு நாள்
இரவு-பகல், கிழமை,
கடிகார முட்களை
ஏமாற்றி நான் உறங்கவேண்டும்.
எவராவது இந்தப் பாம்புக் குட்டிகளை
தற்காலிகமாகவேனும்
தத்தெடுக்க மாட்டீர்களா?

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE