INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, November 6, 2020

MALINI MALA'S POEM

 A POEM BY

MALINI MALA


Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


Being fast asleep at six o’ clock in the morning
is dreadful indeed.
That’s why I wake up earlier and go away.
Or else, covering my ears all too tight
I desperately try to sleep.
The dawns that wake up with a jolt
when the resounding bell of the church
at the southern corner
that had escaped from being smashed
in both the World Wars
or the rhythmic shudders of the train
cross me,
make my present being plunge into sleep
and wakes up my childhood.
I open my eyes thinking that the bell sounding at six in the morning
is from the Pillayaar temple at the southern corner.
Rubbing my eyes
I keep waiting for the Thavil - Ngaswara music
merging with the wind from house adjacent -
For the kin who alights from the Mail train
and knock at our door -
For a bright morn.
When the sleep is wholly gone
the snowy complaint
densely settled on the window
confronts you with the dark of dawn undawned.
I am afraid
at the prospect of my heart
climbing down the stairs of childhood
being reborn
seeing the dawn
and journeying on and on.
In those same staircase
imprisoning the larvae of my dream-butterflies
with eyelids that refused to stick together
I had already left.

MALINI MALA

அதிகாலை
ஆறுமணிப்பொழுதில்
ஆழ்ந்து தூங்குவது
பயமாக இருக்கிறது.
அதனாலேயே முன்பெழுந்து
அகன்று விடுகிறேன், அன்றி
காதுகளை இறுகமூடித் தூங்க
முயல்கிறேன்.
தென்கோடி மூலை
மாதாகோவிலின்
இரண்டு உலகப்போர்களிலும்
உடைந்துவிடாதெஞ்சிய
காண்டாமணியோசையோ
அல்லது,
தொடரூந்தின் தடதடப்போ
என்னைக்கடக்கையில்
திடுக்குற்று கண்விழிக்கும்
விடியல்கள்
என் தற்கால இருப்பை
தூங்கவைத்து விட்டு
பால்யத்தைத்தட்டியெழுப்பி விடுகிறது
ஆறுமணிக்கு ஒலிப்பது
தென்கோடி மூலை
பிள்ளையார் கோவிலின்
காண்டாமணியெனக்கண்
விழிக்கிறேன்.
கண்களைக் கசக்கிக்கொண்டே
காத்திருக்கிறேன்,
பக்கத்துவீட்டிலிருந்து
காற்றில் கலக்கும்
தவில் நாதஸ்வர சாதக இசைக்காகவும்
மெயில்ரயிலிலிறங்கி
வாசல் தட்டும் உறவுக்காகவும்
ஒரு வெளிச்சமான காலைக்காகவும்
முழுத்தூக்கமும் கலைகையில்
சாளரத்தில் கவிந்து மூடியிருக்கும்
உறைபனிப்புகார்
விடியாத விடியலொன்றின்
இருளால் முகத்தில் அறைகிறது.
பயமாக இருக்கிறது
மனது
பால்யத்தின் படிக்கட்டிலிறங்கி
மறுபிறப்பெடுக்கவும்
உதயத்தைப்பார்க்கவும்
பயணிக்கத்தொடங்கி விடுமோவென.
அதே படிக்கட்டுகளில் தான்
என் கனவு வண்ணத்துப்பூச்சிகளின்
கூட்டுப்புழுக்களைச்சிறைவைத்துவிட்டு
ஒட்டமறுத்த இமைகளோடு
வெளியேறியிருந்தேன் நான்..

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE