INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Thursday, May 27, 2021

IYYAPPA MADHAVAN

 A POEM BY

IYYAPPA MADHAVAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

Mother, after you had passed away
I kept you close by my side
in the green-colour sari of yours
Now and then I would retrieve your memory
in its feel
When you were alive
In the fire you lit
Food you cooked
I grew on
Now I find nowhere such cooking
with your emotions well-mixed
My mother, your exemplary taste was born
of your everlasting affection for me.
As long as you lived on
You wiped away my sorrows with your tears.
Instinctively sensing my needs
you offered me your all -
toiling hard with all your blood drained,
And I with no care in the world
feasted my eyes on its beauty around.
On the night you bade goodbye
I was by your side.
Wide awake with pain unbearable
of knowing
that the next day
the world would set you afire.
After the dawn of that damned day
you vanished as one of the hues of dusk
Yet I keep seeing thee
In green-colour sari.

அம்மா நீ இறந்த பின்
உன்னிடமிருந்த பச்சை வண்ணச்சேலையில்
உன்னை என்னருகில் வைத்துக்கொண்டேன்.
அவ்வப்போது உன் நினைவை
அதன் ஸ்பரிசத்தில் மீட்டெடுத்துக்கொள்வேன்
நீயிருந்தபோது நீ எரித்த நெருப்பில்
சமைத்த உணவில்
நான் வளர்ந்து வந்தேன்
இப்போது அதுபோன்ற உன் உணர்வு கலந்த சமையலை
எங்கும் ருசிக்க முடிந்ததில்லை
அம்மா உன் ருசி என் மீதான உன் காதலால் ஆனது
நீயிருக்கும் வரை என் துயர்களை
உன் கண்ணீரால் துடைத்து வைத்தாய்
என் தேவையறிந்து
உன் இரத்தத்தால் ஆன உன் உழைப்பைத் தந்தாய்
நான் கவலையற்ற உயிராக
இந்நிலவுலகின் அழகை தரிசித்தேன்
நீ இறந்த இரவில் உன்னருகிலிருந்தேன்
நாளை இந்த உலகம் உன்னை நெருப்பில் போட்டுவிடும்
என்ற தீராத வலியில் உறங்காமலிருந்தேன்
அந்த நாளின் விடியலுக்குப்பின்
அந்திப்பொழுதின் வண்ணங்களிலொன்றாய்
மறைந்துபோனாய்
ஆயினும் பச்சை வண்ணப் புடைவையில்
உன்னைப் பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருப்பேன்.

அய்யப்ப மாதவன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE