INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Thursday, August 26, 2021

UMA SHANIKA

A POEM BY

UMA SHANIKA

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)



BEING MYSELF

Spread within hither and thither
As the tree-roots
My identities.
When I introduce myself
each face changes into another.
“You are speaking Tamil, but, you are Sinhalese”.
You are speaking Sinhala, but, you are Tamil”
“You speak Deutsch, but where do you come from?
With roots within roots
tearing off
I searching for a land
where I can be my self.
Once my son asked,
“Am I to marry a Tamil?”
“No” I smiled.
Another day he himself observed
“With the identities of both you and father
Tamils won’t like to have me.”
“Yes” smiled I
As tiny sand-drops
dangling in my roots
in a hanging suspended state
The language Tamil
and I safeguard that alone
for my Final Word.
Its being incomprehensible to the nurse
notwithstanding.

நானாக. .
அங்கொன்றும் இங்கொன்றும்
விருட்சங்களின் வேர்களாய் என்னுள் படர்ந்திருக்கும் அடையாளங்கள்.
நான் என்னை அறிமுகம் செய்கையில்
ஒவ்வொன்றின் முகமும்
இன்னொன்றாய் மாறுகிறது .
"நீங்கள் தமிழ் கதைக்கிறீங்கள். ஆனால் நீங்கள் சிங்களம் "
"நீங்கள் சிங்களம் கதைக்கிறீங்கள். ஆனால் நீங்கள் தமிழ் "
"நீங்கள் டொச் கதைக்கிறீங்கள். ஆனால் எங்கிருந்து வருகிறீர்கள்?
வேர்களுக்குள் வேர்கள்
அறுந்து
நானாக வாழ நிலம்
தேடும் என்னிடம்
முன்பொருநாள் என் மகன் கேட்டான்.
"நான் தமிழரையா மணம் முடிக்கவேண்டும்? "
"இல்லை" எனப் புன்னகைத்தேன்.
பின்பொருநாள் அவனே சொன்னான்.
" உங்களதும் அப்பாவினதும் அடையாளங்களால் 'தமிழர் 'என்னை
விரும்பார் என்று "
"ஆம் "என்று புன்னகைத்தேன்.
ஒட்டியும் ஒட்டாமலும்
சிறு மண்துகளாய்
என் வேர்களில் தொங்கும்
தமிழ் மொழியை
மட்டும் பத்திரப்படுத்துகிறேன்
என் இறுதி வார்த்தைகளுக்காக.
தாதிக்கு புரியாவிட்டாலும்.
உமா
05.07.2021 



No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE