INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Sunday, July 26, 2020

YUMA VASUKI'S POEM

A POEM BY 
YUMA VASUKI


Translated by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

If any child were to cry in torment unbearable
somewhere in dream
how am I to go there and comfort it, O Jesus

How am I to send my kisses of solace into its
shivers of fear
How am I to fulfill the need of its insistence
yearning and whimpering for something
the name of which it knows not
The peace for the misgivings
O, my guardian angel
How am I to offer it in a golden plate.
What would be the magical chant
to reveal on my wall
their scribbling that are concealed
by whitewashing the houses
O you Noble Soul,
wherever they wave their hands at whosoever
how am I to be exactly there
How am I to disperse the march of children
towards their work-spot
and teach them through plays songs tales
to read and write?
O God
how am I to receive them straight from their falls
with no speck of dust settling on them
hiding them all too softly…..
Those tender frames shrunk and ailing _
in which sacred perennial river
I would bathe and recuperate them for ever?
O, my lord, wherefrom I can earn the deliverance of
filling all those tender hands that keep stretching for alms
all over the streets…
While writing this how effortlessly
how harmoniously how beautifully
the tip of pen pours as ink blood from the heart
upon the sheet….
O, My Saviour
with none to caress and celebrate them
the children growing wearisome _
Alas , how can I draw close to them?
யூமா வாசுகி.
ஏதொரு குழந்தையும்
எங்கோ கனவில் துடித்தழுதால்
எப்படிப் போய் தேற்றுவேன் கர்த்தரே
அச்சத்தின் துடிப்புகளுக்குள் எப்படி
என் ஆறுதலின் முத்தங்களைக் கடத்துவேன்.
விரும்பியதொன்றின் பெயர் ஏதென்று தெரியாமல்
ஏங்கிச் சிணுங்கும் பிடிவாதத்தின் தேவையை
எப்படி பூர்த்தி செய்வேன்.
பிணக்குகளுக்கான சமாதானத்தை
தேவதையே...
தங்கத் தட்டில் வைத்துத் தருவது எப்படி.
வீடுகளில் வெள்ளையடித்து மறைக்கப்படுகின்ற
அவர்களின் கிறுக்கல்களை
என் சுவர்களில் தோன்றச் செய்யும் மந்திரம்தான் என்ன!
அண்ணலே, எங்கே யாருக்கு அவர்கள் கையசைத்தாலும்
அங்கே நானும் நின்று ஏற்றுக்கொள்வதெப்படி.
பணிக்கு நீளுகின்ற சிறார்களின் அணிவகுப்பை
கலைத்து விளையாட்டில் பாட்டுங்கதையும்
எழுத்தறிவிப்பதும் எப்படி!
கடவுளே,
வீழ்ச்சிகளிலிருந்து தூசும் படாதபடி நேரடியாய்
என் கரங்களில் மெத்தென
எப்படி அவர்களை ஏந்திக்கொள்வேன்!
நோவிற் துவண்ட குருத்துடல்களை
எந்தச் சிரஞ்சீவியாற்றில் முழுக்காட்டி
நித்யமாய் சொஸ்தப்படுத்துவேன்.
தெருக்களிலெல்லாம் யாசகத்திற்கு நீளும்
பிஞ்சுக்கரங்களை நிறைக்கும் கடைத்தேற்றத்தை
எம்பிரானே,
எவ்விதம் சம்பாதிப்பேன்
இதை எழுதும்போது எவ்வளவு சுலபமாக
எவ்வளவு இசைவாக எவ்வளவு அழகாக
இதயத்திலிருந்து ரத்தத்தைத் தாள் மீது
மசியாக விட்டுக்கொடுக்கிறது பேனா முனை..
என் நாதனே!
கொஞ்சிக் கொண்டாடுதற்கு
ஆளின்றிச் சோம்பிய குழந்தைகளை
நான் எப்படி சமீபிப்பேன்...
-யூமா வாசுகி

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE