INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Monday, July 26, 2021

PALAIVANA LANTHER

 A POEM BY

PALAIVANA LANTHER

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

I am mad
You can call me mentally deranged
in civilized parlance.
I am not mad always
Only when I am awake, I am that
I don’t remember what I am, once I sleep
Feeling confusion-confounded
as to the capsules to be consumed
I gulp all of them
What is wrong?
They have kept me caged inside a dark room
at a remote corner of the house
Dark and quiet are what I dread most
With just a lone matchstick
I had burnt the room
Nay, extinguished the darkness.
Only when my clothes were burning
I realized
That I am a fuel.
I can burn and shine
On and on
While aflame there came
The aroma of flesh getting boiled
So like a splendorous torch I burnt
Some fool had poured water
With someone unknown they sent me somewhere
He too, a great enlightened soul like me
He taught me to crush in palms and smoke
Humans gave him food and money
With stained teeth he would always be laughing
Poor soul, someone had killed him.
Those leaves lay strewn all around him
At last they brought me here
The name of he who stays in the adjacent room is
Joshua
He would be chatting with me nonstop.
Cheroot smell would be emanating out of him.
Said he would give me
But didn’t
She would come twice daily
Morning and evening
Would give me injection causing no pain
Would give the right tablets
In the black luminous watch
She would calculate my heartbeats.
Urnse
Nay, Nurse
Name Selvi
She resembled my childhood friend
But her body had grown into a short palymra tree.
Selvi, give me a kiss I said
‘Have your beard shaved’ smiled she and slipped away.
Hastily I grabbed the razor
and sheared frantically
Blood flowed through the innerwear
The tinge of urine is red
it’s attribute hair
but I feel light as if an all too terrible sin is
off my skin
I have learnt to offer deliverance for sins.
Come closer I will pardon you too
Joshva is no more
All at once
right in front of my eyes
legs
Myself
With palms brought together
Begging
Beseeching
He fell
bidding farewell
This time Joshua’s hair-soaked blood
in my hands
When his body was being taken away
He had the cheroot tightly rolled in his hands
O he, the damned.

மயிர்களைதல்

நானொரு பைத்தியம்
நீங்கள் என்னை மனநிலை பிறழ்ந்தவர் என்று
நாகரிகமாக அழைக்கலாம்
நான் எப்போதும் பைத்தியமாகவே இருக்கவில்லை
விழித்திருக்கும் போது மட்டும் தான்
உறங்கியவுடன் நான் என்னவாக இருக்கிறேன்
என்று ஞாபகமில்லை
எந்த மாத்திரைகளை தின்பது என்ற குழப்பத்தில்
எல்லா மாத்திரைகளையும் தின்று விடுகின்றேன்
என்ன தவறு?
வீட்டின் மூலையில் ஓர் இருட்டு அறையில்
அடைத்து போட்டிருந்தார்கள்
இருட்டும் அமைதியும் எனக்கு பயம்
ஒரே ஒரு தீக்குச்சியில் அறையை
இல்லையில்லை..
இருளை எரித்து விட்டேன்
ஆடைகள் எரியும் போதுதான் உணர்ந்தேன்
நானொரு எரிபொருள்
எவ்வளவு வேண்டுமானாலும் சுடர்விட்டு எரியுவேன்
எரியும் போது மாமிசம் வேகும் வாசனை
அத்தனை அழகான தீப்பந்தத்தைப் போல் எரிந்தேன்
முட்டாளொருவன் நீரையூற்றி விட்டான்
யாரோ ஒருவருடன் எங்கேயோ அனுப்பி வைத்தார்கள்
அவரும் எம்போன்ற மகான்
அவர் எனக்கு உள்ளங்கையில் கசக்கி
புகைக்க கற்றுக் கொடுத்தார்
அவருக்கு மனிதர்கள் உணவும் காசும்
கொடுத்தார்கள்
கறைப் பற்களால் சிரித்துக் கொண்டே இருப்பார்
பாவம் அவரை யாரோ கொன்று விட்டார்கள்
அவரைச் சுற்றி அந்த இலைகள் சிதறிக் கிடந்தன
இறுதியாக இந்த இடத்திற்கு அழைத்து வந்தார்கள்
எனது அறைக்கு அடுத்த அறையில் இருப்பவன் பெயர் ஜோஷ்வா
என்னிடம் பேசிக்கொண்டே இருப்பான்
அவனிடம் சுருட்டு வாசனை வரும்
தருவதாக சொன்னான்
ஆனால் தரவேயில்லை
அவள் தினமும் காலையும் மாலையும் வருவாள்
ஊசி போடுவாள் வலிக்காமல்
சரியான மாத்திரைகளை தருவாள்
மினுங்கும் மணிக்கட்டின்
கறுப்பு கடிகாரத்தில்
எனது இதயம் துடிப்பதை கணக்கெடுப்பாள்
லெசிவி
இல்லை வெசிலி
இல்லை செவிலி
பெயர் செல்வி
தோற்றத்தில் என் பால்யகால
தோழியைப் போலவே இருந்தாள்
ஆனால் உடல்
குட்டை பனைமரம் போல வளர்ந்திருந்தது
செல்வி ஒரு முத்தம் கொடு என்றேன்
தாடியை மழிக்கச் சொல்லி
புன்னகைத்துச் சென்றாள்
வேகமாக சவரக்கத்தியை எடுத்து சரசரவென மழித்தேன்
உள்ளாடை வழியாக இரத்தம் கொட்டியது
மூத்திரத்தின் நிறம் சிவப்பு
குணம் மயிர்
ஆனால் உடலில் இருந்து மிகப்பெரிய பாவமொன்று
களைந்தது போல் இலேசாக இருக்கிறது
நான் பாவங்களுக்கு விடுதலை தரக் கற்றுக் கொண்டேன்
நெருங்கி வாருங்கள் உங்களையும் மன்னிக்கிறேன்
ஜோஷ்வா செத்து விட்டான்
திடீரென
கண்முன்னே கால்முன்னே என்முன்னே
இரண்டு கைகளை கூப்பியபடி இறைஞ்சி விழுந்தான் எழவில்லை
இம்முறை எனது கைகளில்
ஜோஷ்வாவின் மயிர் தோய்ந்த ரத்தம்
அவன் உடலை கொண்டு செல்லும்போது
கைகளில் சுருட்டை இறுக்கமாகச் சுருட்டியிருந்தான்
பாவியவன்.






No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE