INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Monday, July 26, 2021

MOUNAN YATHRIGA

 A POEM BY

MOUNAN YATHRIGA

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


THE BROKEN RED ARROW
For a long time I keep staring at the arched red arrow
upon the missed call
When that called number with no name
surfaced on the screen
If only I had touched the green light that leapt across
like a fish
that arrow would have shot at me straightaway
But I remained there merely staring at the red glow
lilting on the screen
Instead of just disconnecting
I kept looking at its throbs
in silence.
Who is that who wants to talk to me?
Wherefrom they would have accessed my number?
What for I am called?
Does the one owning the number know
that I dread new numbers
Why do new numbers disturb me so much?
Why am I unwilling to take on
numbers unknown?
I can’t spell out the reasons
Let none learn them
Earlier I used to respond to the calls
no matter who calls
But, not any more
What to do?
Numbers cause unbearable pain
Numerous problems ever and again
Psychological issues quite a lot
Disappointments aplenty
Guilt-feelings overflowing
I too want with all my heart
to straighten the broken arrow
and return it straight
to the point of its start
But
the digits behind the ‘Plus’ sign
metamorphosing into a black serpentine
I keep observing terror-stricken.

ஒடிந்த சிவப்பு அம்பு
_______________________
தவறிய அழைப்பில் கிடக்கும்
வளைந்த சிவப்பு அம்பை
வெகுநேரமாகப் பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்
பெயர் இல்லாத
அந்தத் தொடர்பு எண்
திரையில் தோன்றியபோது
மீனைப்போல் துள்ளிய பச்சை ஒளியை
நான் தொட்டிருந்தால்
அந்த அம்பு
என் மீது வந்து பாய்ந்திருக்கக் கூடும்
ஆனால்,
நான் வெறுமனே
திரையில் துள்ளிய சிவப்பு ஒளியையே
வெறித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தேன்
துண்டித்து விடுவதற்கு பதில்
அதன் துடிப்பை
மௌனமாகப் பார்த்தபடி இருந்தேன்
என்னிடம் பேச விரும்புவது யார்?
எனது எண் எப்படி கிடைத்திருக்கும்?
எதற்காக நான் அழைக்கப்பட்டேன்?
புதிதாக வரும் எண்களைக் கண்டு
நான் அஞ்சுகிறேன் என்று
அந்த எண்ணுக்கு உரியவர் அறிவாரா?
ஏன் புதிய எண்கள்
என்னைக் கலவரப்படுத்துகின்றன?
புதிய எண்களை எதிர்கொள்ள
ஏன் நான் தயங்குகிறேன்?
என்னால் காரணங்களைச் சொல்லமுடியவில்லை
அதை
யாரும் தெரிந்துகொள்ள வேண்டாம்
எனக்கும்
வரும் அழைப்பை எடுத்துப் பேசும்
இயல்பான குணம் முன்பிருந்ததுதான்
இப்போது
அந்த மனம் வாய்க்கவில்லை
என்ன செய்ய?
எண்களால் எத்தனையோ வலிகள்
எத்தனையோ பிரச்சினைகள்
எத்தனையோ உளச்சிக்கல்கள்
எத்தனையோ ஏமாற்றங்கள்
எத்தனையோ குற்றவுணர்வுகள்
அந்த ஒடிந்த அம்பை நிமிர்த்தி
எங்கிருந்து வந்ததோ அங்கேயே
செலுத்த விருப்பமாகத்தான் இருக்கிறது
ஆனால்,
கூட்டல் குறிக்குப் பின்னிருக்கும் எண்கள்
ஒரு கருத்த பாம்பாக உருமாறுவதை
அச்சத்தோடு பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்.
மௌனன் யாத்ரிகா

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE