INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, September 3, 2022

MUTHUKUMAR SANKARAN TUTICORIN

A POEM BY
MUTHUKUMAR SANKARAN TUTICORIN
Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

DON’T SHAKE THE CYLINDER, KANNAA


On the floor washed and cleaned and well wiped
You scribble with your dusty feet
Taking handful of the flour well-powdered
You scatter it all over the house
If I could catch and tie you at the ‘Ural’
It would no doubt mean a boon
But how can I even imagine it at all
Seeing you pick up
the fruits placed as offerings to God
and have a bite at them
If I grab you and chide
pretending to cry
you laugh gloriously showing the world
within your mouth,
Oh my!
Apprehensive about the oil boiling
and the Murukku, seedai and all
bursting
as I remain inside the kitchen for long
you come in and shake the cylinder
turning me terror-stricken
making me scream
"Oh, no I can’t bear any more
Call me Boothagi for all I care
I have work
right up to my neck
should draw the little feet
Oh, thee I entreat _
Please go out, play and enjoy

Won't you, my boy!

Muthukumar Sankaran Tuticorin

சிலிண்டரை ஆட்டாதே கண்ணா
---------------------------------------------
கழுவித் துடைத்த தரையில்
புழுதி படிந்த பாதத்தால்
எழுதிக் கிறுக்குகிறாய்
இடித்து வைத்த மாவை
எடுத்து வீடெங்கும் நீ
இறைத்து வைக்கிறாய்
பிடித்து உரலடியில் பிணைக்க
முடிந்தால் கூட புண்ணியம்
நினைத்துப் பார்க்க முடியுமா உனைப்
பிடித்து அடைக்கும் காரியம்
படைக்க வைத்த பழங்களை
எடுத்து நீ கடித்துச் சுவைக்கப்
பிடித்து வைத்துக் கேட்டால்
அடித்தது போல் நடித்தழுது
வெடிச் சிரிப்பினூடே உலகு
காட்டுகிறாய் வாயில்
வெடித்திடுமோ எனப் பயத்தில்
சீடை முறுக்கு தட்டை செய்ய
அடுக்களை தவமிருக்கையில்
சிலிண்டரைப் பிடித்து ஆட்டி எனை
கிலி கொண்டலறச் செய்வாய்
போதுமினி தாங்காது நீ என்னை
பூதகை என்றுகூட சொல்லிக் கொள்
பாதம் வரையும் வேலையுமிருக்கு
வீதியில் போய் விளையாடி வா

- முத்துக்குமார் சங்கரன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE