INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, September 3, 2022

YUMA VASUKI

 A POEM BY

YUMA VASUKI

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


Mother loved my hands so much
When she would be down with fever
“Let your hands bring me a mouthful of warm water,
my dear
She would say.
Seeing my poem in print
“Is this written by your hand?” she asked
amazed.
“My mouth is all sour,
Buy me two betel leaves with your hand ,
my boy
She would ask.
Calling the soothsayer going along the street
to come inside she would say
“When will his blessed bride-to-be would
come here
See his palm and tell me, I want to hear”
When I completed my studies
Said she to our kith and kin _
“Fatherless boy,
help him come up in life,
Won’t you?”
Rehearsing to cry and going
To ask for a job
On returning with words of solace
half of the life remained
in empty hand.
Mother’s cry which would always be
“Oh, when are you going to earn something
with your own hands
always laments
“Oh, he has not learnt to hold on
with his own hands and perform feats
but had never once,
despite my readiness to accept it
cursed me as having hands that are
good- for- nothing
அம்மாவுக்கு
என் கைகளின் மீது மிகவும் பிரியம்.
அவள் காய்ச்சலாகக் கிடக்கையில்,
‘ஒங்கையால ஒருவாய்
சுடு தண்ணி வச்சுக்கொடய்யா’
என்பாள்.
அச்சில் வந்த என் கவிதையை,
‘ஒங்கையால எழுதினதா இது!’
என்று வியந்தாள்.
‘வாயக் கசக்குது, ஒங்கையால
ரெண்டு வெத்தில வாங்கி வா தம்பி’
என்பாள்.
தெருவில் போகும் ஜோதிடனை
வீட்டுக்குள் அழைத்து,
‘இவங்கையால தாலி கட்டிக்கிற பாக்கியவதி
எப்போ வருவாள்,
இவங்கை பாத்துச் சொல்லுமய்யா’
என்பாள்.
படிப்பு முடிந்த கையோடு
சொந்தமென்றிருந்தவர்களிடம் அம்மா சொன்னாள்:
‘தகப்பனில்லாப் புள்ள ஐயா,
கைதூக்கி விடணும்.’
அழுகைக்கான ஒத்திகையோடு
வேலை வேண்டிப் போய்
ஆறுதல் சொன்னவனாய் திரும்பியபோது
வெறுங்கையிலிருந்தது பாதிப் பிராயம்.
‘ஒங்கையால ரெண்டு காசு சம்பாதிச்சி
கால் வவுத்துக் கஞ்சி எப்ப ஊத்தப்போறே’
என்று வரும் அம்மாவின் புலம்பல்,
‘இன்னமும்
கையூனிக் கரணம் போடத் தெரியலயே’
என்று வருந்துகிறதே தவிர,
நான் ஒத்துக்கொள்ளத் தயாராயிருந்தும்
கையாலாகாதவன் என்றென்னை
ஒருபோதும் இகழ்ந்ததில்லை.
~ யூமா வாசுகி

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE