INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Monday, October 5, 2020

RIYAS QURANA'S POEM

 A POEM BY

RIYAS QURANA

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan (*First Draft)

Growing into mountains
I stand tall
I hold the land and bear it long
Yet, I am no Srilankan.
Spreading roots thousands of years
entwined as one with this soil
turning into trees I offer shade.
Yet, I am no Lankan.
As rivers and ponds I squeeze my blood
to its last ounce, and,
pouring it grow grains.
Yet, I am no Srilankan.
In the yields of fields
and in the bloom of tender tea-leaves
our ancient history
sings aloud.
Yet I am no Srilankan.
Just as you
I too have stomach that starves
courteous ways to behave and interact
A language to communicate
and a heart to languish in silence.
Yet, I am no Srilankan.
The term Mother Land
turns me frightened to death.
You start assaulting in frenzy unleashed.
Yes, I am no Srilankan.
Though a solitary tree
I become a part of the forest.
Though I be the sea
I stand distinct as the wave.
Yes, I am no Srilankan.
This is how you address me.
This is the only way you want to refer to me.
My response is a serene smile.
A gentle calm
An endless pause.
The still wet tears of our predecessors.
Eventually
stuck inside the throat and murmuring
dreading to come out
the very same words of yours
“Yes, I am no Lankan.”


நான் இலங்கையனல்ல
மலைகளாக வளர்ந்து
எழுந்து நிற்கிறேன்
நிலத்தை தாங்கிப் பிடிக்கிறேன்
ஆயினும், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
ஆயிரமாண்டுகளாய் வேர்பரப்பி
இந்த மண்ணோடு பின்னிப் பிணைந்து
மரங்களாகி நிழல் தருகிறேன்
ஆயினும், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
நதிகளாயும், குளங்களாயும்
எனது இரத்தத்தை சாறுபிழிந்து ஊற்றி
தானியங்களை விளைவிக்கிறேன்
ஆயினும், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
காடு வயல்களின் விளைச்சலிலும்,
தேயிலைக் கொழுந்துகளின் மலர்ச்சிகளிலும்,
எங்கள் பண்டைய வரலாறு
குரலெழுப்பிப் பாடுகிறது
ஆயினும், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
உனக்கிருப்பதைப்போலவே
பசிக்கும் வயிறும்
பழகப் பண்பாடும்
பேச மொழியும்
மௌனமாகத் துயரப்பட இதயமும் உண்டு
ஆயினும், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
தாய் நாடென்றால்
நான் நடுங்குகிறேன்
நீயோ வெறிகொண்டு
தாக்கத் தொடங்குகிறாய்
ஆமாம், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
தனிமரமாக நின்றாலும்
நான் காட்டின் பகுதியாகிறேன்
கடலாக இருந்தாலும்
அலையாகத் தனித்து நிற்கிறேன்
ஆமாம், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.
“நான் இலங்கையனல்ல”
இப்படித்தான்,
நீ என்னை அழைக்கிறாய்
இப்படி மட்டும்தான்
நீ என்னை அழைக்க விரும்புகிறாய்.
எனது பதிலோ, ஒரு புன்னகை
ஒரு மென்மையான அமைதி
முடிவற்ற ஒரு பெரிய தயக்கம்
மூதாதையரின் உலராத சில கண்ணீர்த்துளிகள்
இறுதியில்,
தொண்டைக்குள் சிக்கி முணுமுணுக்கும்
வெளியேற அச்சப்படும்
உன்னுடைய அதே சொற்கள்
“ஆமாம், நான் இலங்கையனல்ல.”
0 றியாஸ் குரானா

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE