INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, September 4, 2026

KRISHNA MOORTHY

A POEM BY 

KRISHNA MOORTHY

Rendered in English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)




A torn rupee note

I planned to change hands as one

in tact.

The Tea-selling sister from whom

I usually buy a cup

The granny from whom 

I usually buy banana

The big brother from whom

 I usually buy provisions

None of them could be fooled

Like all others

I too gave the rupee note

with the torn part  well concealed

Yet

all of them found out the tear

being momentarily aware.

I, not lost losing hope

decided to act smart 

with a grand old man

having skin shrunken

adjusting his spectacles

 _ The one who sells camphor 

on Full Moon day

“It is torn, my son

Well, I’ll change it in the Bank

Give me” said he.

And, in his  business acumen 

My University Degree

went aflame, with just ashes remained

·

கிழிந்த ரூபாய் நோட்டொன்றை

எப்படியாவது தள்ளிவிட நினைத்தேன்

வழக்கமாகத் தேநீர் அருந்தும் அக்காவிடம்

வழக்கமாக வாழைப்பழம் வாங்கும் ஆயாவிடம்

வழக்கமாக மளிகை வாங்கும் அண்ணாச்சியிடம்

யாரிடமும் என் சாமார்த்தியம் பலிக்கவில்லை

எல்லோரையும் போல

கிழிந்திருப்பது தெரியாதது போலவேதான்

நானும் கொடுத்தேன்

ஆனாலும் எல்லோருமே

நொடிப்பொழுதான விழிப்புணர்வில்தான்

கிழிந்ததைக் கண்டறிந்தார்கள்

மனம்தளராத நான்

சுருங்கிய தோல்களோடு

கண்ணாடியைச் சரிசெய்து கொண்டு

பௌர்ணமிக்குச் சூடம் விற்கும் தாத்தா ஒருவரிடம் 

சாமர்த்தியத்தைக் காட்ட நினைத்தேன்

"கிழிஞ்சிருக்கு தம்பி

பேங்க்ல மாத்திகிறேன் கொடுங்கள்" என்ற

வியாபாரத்தில்

எரிந்து சாம்பலாகி நிற்கிறது

எனது பல்கலைக்கழகப் பட்டம்

கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி


No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - AUGUST 2026

 INSIGHT AUGUST, 2026 (a bilingual blogspot for contemproary tamil poetry) 2026insight.blogspot.com