INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

RAMESH PREDAN

 A POEM BY

RAMESH PREDAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

REGARDING NAMING THE BIRD…


What name to give this bird?
Will it approve of being called by your name?
For me you alone are the Beginning and End.
Will the inhabitants of its land consent
to its being addressed by your name.
I know not the direction it comes from
knowing my direction
and rubbing its beak in the mango tree of my garden
Ho, why can’t it be called in a name known to me
This bird’s consent is very important to me
With the arrogant pride it has
of the soil it belongs to
of its shape
of its voice
of its gender
not spoilt in any manner
Your name would well suit it
Yet
This bird’s consent is very important.
It is from naming birds that
in a language selection of words
would have been learnt, I’m sure
By christening this bird
I bring to my language a Poem
For me, beginning and End is thee alone
When the bird will be called in your name
You will go flying far away
in the grand benign space
sans beginning or end, I say.
Ramesh Predan
பறவைக்குப் பெயரிடுவது பற்றி
இந்தப் பறவைக்கு என்ன பெயரிடுவது?
உன் பெயரால் அழைப்பதை அது விரும்புமா?
எனக்கு முதலும் கடைசியுமாக நீ மட்டும்தான்
உன் பெயரால் அப்பறவை அழைக்கப்படுவதை
அதன் சொந்த நிலத்து மக்கள் ஏற்பார்களா?
அது எத்திசைப் பறவை என்பதை நானறியேன்
என் திசையறிந்து என் தோட்டத்து மாமரத்தில்
அலகை உரசும் அது ஏன் எனக்குத் தெரிந்த
ஒரு பெயரால் அழைக்கப்படக் கூடாது?
இந்தப் பறவையின் அனுமதி எனக்கு முக்கியம்
அதன் நிலம் மீது அது கொண்டுள்ள
அதன் உடல் அமைப்பின் மீதும்
அதன் குரலின் மீதும் நிறத்தின் மீதும்
அது சார்ந்த பால் மீதும் அது கொண்டுள்ள
அகங்காரம் கொஞ்சம்கூட குறைவுபடாமல்
உன்பெயர் அதற்குப் பொருந்திவரும் எனினும்
இந்தப் பறவையின் அனுமதி எனக்கு முக்கியம்
பறவைகளுக்குப் பெயரிடுவதிலிருந்துதான்
ஒரு மொழியில் கவிதைக்கான சொல்தேர்வு
பயின்று வந்திருக்கும் என எண்ணுகிறேன்
இந்தப் பறவைக்குப் பெயரிடுவதன் மூலம்
எனது மொழிக்கு ஒரு கவிதையைக் கொண்டுவருகிறேன்
எனக்கு முதலும் கடைசியுமாக நீ மட்டுதான்
உன் பெயரால் அப்பறவை அழைக்கப்படும்போது
நீ பறந்துவிடுவாய்
முதலும் முடிவுமற்ற அருட்பெருவெளியில்.

ரமேஷ் பிரேதன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - JULY - SEPTEMBER, 2024