INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

MULLAI AMUTHAN

 THREE POEMS BY

MULLAI AMUTHAN


Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

(1)

I went to see the house
where dwelt mother
who is no more
Deserted it was.
Younger sister in the adjacent house
asking “You do like ‘Vaththal Kuzhambu
with Mural fish – Am I right?”
offered me both.
The next day she brought
mutton and many more.
The scent of Mother’s kitchenette
proved all pervading.
Father’s fishing nets tied at the corner
and the varieties of birds
running everywhere in the open courtyard
brought all the way
even today
thousands of tales
pouring them all inside my heart
as always.
இல்லாமலாகிப் போன
அம்மா இருந்த வீடு சென்றிருந்தேன்.
வெறிச்சுப்போயிருந்தது.
பக்கத்துவீட்டிலிருந்த
தங்கை வத்தல்குழம்புடன்,
முரல்மீனும் பிடிக்குமே
என
தந்தாள்.
மறுநாள்
ஆட்டிறைச்சிக் கறி என
கொண்டுவந்தாள்.
வீடு நிறைந்திருந்தது
அம்மாவின் சமையலறை வாசம்.
கோடியில் கட்டியிருந்த அப்பாவின்
மீபிடி வலைகளும்,
முற்றத்தில் ஓடித்திரிந்த பறவியினங்களும்
இன்றும்
ஆயிரம் கதைகளைக் கொண்டுவந்து
மனதுள் கொட்டியது..
முல்லைஅமுதன்

(2)


Why being angry against God
and leave without having ‘Darshan’.
True
They are ‘Prasadham’ for thee
When the boons for my prayer are not granted
Things God demanded and received
proved aplenty
That’s why I go away without waiting.
I fell in love…
Spoke of my beloved….
He took her away
I spoke about my friend-turned-betrayer.
I told about the people
My nation
My village
I spoke of all and more
Instead
Denying Life itself
Offering excuses as solace…
Tell God…
If the prayers of all these years
are sincere
Ask him to give back everything…
Let’s become Gods and see
From now on
let boons and darshans
be given by hands our own.

கடவுளிடம் கோபப்பட்டு
ஏன்
தரிசனம் பெறாமல் செல்கிறாய்.
உண்மைதான்.
உனக்கு அவை பிரசாதம்.
எனது பிரார்த்தனைக்கான
வரங்கள் தரப்படாத நிலையில்,
கடவுளே கேட்டுப்பெற்றவைகளே
அனேகமாகப்பட்டன.
அது தான் காத்திருக்காமல் செல்கிறேன்.
காதலித்தேன்..
காதலி பற்றிச் சொன்னேன்.
அவனே அருகிருத்திக்கொண்டான்..
துரோகியாகிப் போன
நண்பனைப் பற்றி எடுத்துரைத்தேன்.
மக்களைப் பற்றிச் சொன்னேன்.
எனது நாடு...
எனது கிராமம்..
என்றெல்லாம் சொன்னேன்..
மாறாக,
வாழ்க்கையையே நிராகரித்துவிட்டு,
சமாதானம் சொல்கிறது.
கடவுளிடம் சொல்..
இத்தனை வருடங்களின் பிராத்தனைகள்
உண்மையெனில்,
யாவற்றையும் மீளக் கையளித்துவிடச்சொல்...
கடவுளராக நாம் இருந்து பார்ப்போம்..
வரங்களும்,
தரிசனங்களும்
நம்மிடமிருந்தே இனி கொடுக்கப்படட்டும்...
முல்லை அமுதன்.

(3)


I was growing tall
Like a tree, said they
If a portion of the leg is cut
The height would be perfect,
They suggested.
Removing the hands
and replacing them with new ones
my height could be balanced,
said they and went away.
“Get me those flowers bloomed so high
Won’t thee”
Asked my younger sister.
“You have grown like a Kokkathadi
Getting a bride for you would be difficult indeed”,
remarked my elder sister.
In the end
‘What if the head be severed…’
They decided.
Just like father.
Mother consoled herself.
When he hung on the electric post
Mother alone cried….
Remembering father…

*Kokkathadi : Iron-crook Pole




No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - JULY - SEPTEMBER, 2024