INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, April 1, 2023

'SATHARA' MALATHY

 POEMS BY

'SATHARA' MALATHY


REMEMBERING FELLOW-POET SATHARA MALATHI
Latha Ramakrishnan

A passionate reader and a very sensitive human being she was, one can find in her Poetry the marvelous blend of the two quotable quotes – ‘Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful emotions’ and ‘Poetry is emotions recollected in tranquility’.
Her poems reveal her passionate heart and its unanswered queries and unfulfilled dreams and they belong to one and all of us. She had experimented with various styles and tones in writing Poetry, using classical Tamil, folk-language etc. She took part in literary seminars and discussions with genuine interest and her Papers would always be balanced and analytical, avoiding overtones.
Three collections of poems – VARIKUTHIRAIGAL ( the zebras) , THANAL KODI POOKAL( fire-plant flowers), MARAMALLIGAIGAL ( a kind of trophical flowers) – one short-story collection – ANAMADHEYA KARAIGAL (anonymous shores) – one Anthology of essays on the renowned Tamil Classic Andaal Thirupaavai, analyzing the underlying theme of the verses with a rare sensibility and sensitivity, UYARPAAVAI - of Sathara Malathy have so far been published.


POETRY IS…
‘sathara’ malathy

Poetry is not a diary, nor the pages of an autobiography. It is not made of ‘I’ s. Not all of a poem are real; nor are they mere fantasy. Poems are not decorated with cleverness and strategies; nor are they made sacred with dirt.

For me, Poetry is Truth; Truth told in the best possible manner. Hiding mine as other’s, this one’s as that one’s, yet, a Truth which comes into the open, no matter however hard one would try to hide it. A poem without this Truth can only be superficial, with no real substance.

1. LOVERS
They meet on Valentine’s Day
Those no lovers _
as in wedding days
Lovers don’t meet. They Be.
When all drenched in fire
and break apart
They Be.
For mutual gifts
they have no Worlds.
When gifts happen
Worlds don’t have them.
Yes. Gods too are
lovers-like Spirits.
2) THE DUEL
Banging against the stone of language
repeatedly
I voiced my woes.
The Tongue remained unstirred.
Cold War.
And, banging against my heart
again and again
it gained entry
as Poetry
3) THE THREE DIVISIONS OF TIME
Seeping into Yesterday, I,
not flowing in Today
froze in ‘day before yesterday
’having no time to melt.
The minutes are but
veritable milestones.
In the wind of sorrow
bounced and battered
the poem that melts,
so moved,
in the darkness of my tongue
would gain its voice from the light
you would give tomorrow
with the word having gone dead
climbing the wall
and moving ahead.
4) NEED
Just like ‘parrot-hunger
Suffice if there are
Fruits of Syllables.
Why can’t you say
At once ?
That it’s sickening!
Swallowing atrocious Delays
I can’t satiate My hunger.
5) THIS IS NO RESPONSE

I have no response to your letter.
Tears can never be written
in a piece of paper.
My problem is that
I wished to get back the Loan
that I had given elsewhere,
from You.
My failure is that
I was born dead.
For those share of my heart
that have suffered loss
let’s pay homage.
If only time would block
My ebbs and flows
from reaching your shores
my thanks will be million and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE