INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, April 1, 2023

JEYADEVAN

 A POEM BY

JEYADEVAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

That she had plucked me from amidst the stars

Mother said
Buying the dreams of flowers
and melting them they had created me
said elder sister.
Slicing from the cloud they shaped me
Grandma averred
and held that because the celestial birds fed me with elixir
I have this marble colour
Of the pearl obtaining from breaking apart oysters myriad
I am the most precious one
And that those born with me
are still inside sharks
Grandpa would declare.
But
My friend Alamu who claims that
she was bought in exchange for bran says….
Sparrow feeds her with honey everyday
She climbs on the river-fish and go to the shop, she says.
The golden tortoise beetles accompany her
till the school and leave her there
As a blossom and at times a jungle
She is
A flute sprouts on her body
every evening.
I
Sitting by the window side
and catching fish in my fantasy -
Even the jelly fish in the tank
Refuse to play with me
Myself turning into a pot-plant
morning and evening
remain lying there
losing the little girl
in me…..
As the inert ball in the marble bowl
remain
My evening Sun
and reposing Sundays

நட்சத்திரங்களுக்கிடையே இருந்து என்னைப் பறித்து வந்தததாக அம்மா சொன்னாள்
பூக்களின் கனவுகளை வாங்கி
உருக்கி என்னைச் செய்ததாய்
அக்கா சொன்னாள்
மேகத்திலிருந்து வெட்டி எடுத்து
செய்ததாகவும்
தேவலோகப்பறவைகள் அமுதம்
ஊட்டியதால்தான் எனக்கு இந்தப்
பளிங்கு வண்ணம் என்றும்
பாட்டி சொன்னாள்
கோடி சிப்பிகளை உடைத்து எடுத்த
முத்தில் நான் ஆணி முத்தென்றும்
என்னோடு பிறந்தவர்கள் இன்னும்
சுறாமீன்களுக்குள் இருக்கிறார்கள் என்றும் தாத்தா சொல்வார்
ஆயின்
தன்னைத் தவிட்டுக்கு வாங்கி வந்ததாக சொல்லிக்கொள்ளும்
என் சிநேகிதி அலமு சொல்கிறாள்....
தினமும் அவளுக்குத் தேனூட்டி விடுகிறதாம் சிட்டுக்குருவி
அவள் ஆற்றுமீன்களின் மேலேறி
கடைக்குப் போகிறாள்
பொன்வண்டுகள் பள்ளிவரை
வந்து அவளை விட்டுவிட்டுப் போகின்றன
அவள் ஒரு பூவாகவும் சமயங்களில் காடாகவும் இருக்கிறாள்
ஒரு புல்லாங்குழல் பூத்துவிடுகிறது அவள் உடலில்
ஒவ்வொரு மாலைப்பொழுதிலும்
அடுக்குமாடி ஜன்னலோரம் அமர்ந்தபடி கற்பனையில் மீன்பிடிக்கும் என்னோடு
விளையாட மறுக்கின்றன
தொட்டியின் ஜெல்லிமீன்கள் கூட...
நானே தொட்டிச் செடியாகி
இரவும் பகலும் கிடக்கிறேன்
கிடந்த இடத்தில் கிடந்து
என்னுள் இருக்கும் சிறுமியை
தொலைத்துவிட்டு

பளிங்கு கிண்ணத்தில் இருக்கும்.
அசையாத பந்தாய் நிற்கிறது
என் மாலைச்சூரியனும்
என் விடுமுறை ஞாயிறுகளும்
--------------------------------
ஜெயதேவன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE