INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, April 1, 2023

PAALAI NILAVAN

 TWO POEMS BY 

PAALAI NILAVAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

1. TWO FRUITS


Has he renounced wholly
or partly -
He has the countenance
so perplexed.
Yet he looked like a saint
At his feet a dog
was tearing a polythene cover.
The saint was sitting
as if dwelling between Expectation and its
Negation
In front of him there were two lemons
One was entirely Yellow
Another absolute Green
As I sat facing the saint
Offering me the absolute green
He asked me to close my eyes.
As I did so
with memories going astray
mind deranging
panting
I was running somewhere
Instantly something flashing within
When I opened my eyes,
Staring at the lemon entirely yellow
and tearing the polythene cover
I am lying as the street dog
And the saint
lies there dead.
Paalainilavan Nilavan
இரண்டு கனிகள்

முற்றும் துறந்தாரா
பாதி துறந்தாரா
என்ற சந்தேகத்தின்
முகச் சாயல் அவருக்கு
ஆனால் துறவி போல இருந்தார்
காலடியில்
ஒரு நாய்
பழைய பாலித்தீன் உறையை
அது கிழித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறது
துறவி
எதிர்பார்ப்பிற்கும்
எதிர்பார்ப்பின்மைக்கும்
நடுவே வசிப்பவர் போல
அமர்ந்திருந்தார்
அவர் முன்னே
இரண்டு எலுமிச்சைகள்
ஒன்று பூரண மஞ்சள்
மற்றது சம்பூர்ண பச்சை
துறவி முன் அமர்ந்ததும்
கையில்
சம்பூர்ண பச்சையைக் கொடுத்து
கண்களை மூடச் சொன்னார்
மூடியதும்
ஞாபகங்கள் வழிதப்ப
சித்தம் பிசக
மூச்சிரைக்க
எங்கோ ஓடிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்
திடீரென பொறி தட்ட
கண் விழிக்கவும்
பூரண மஞ்சள் கனியை
பார்த்துக் கொண்டே
பாலித்தீன் பையை கிழித்தபடி
தெரு நாயாக படுத்திருக்கிறேன்
துறவியோ
இறந்து கிடக்கிறார்.

2. THE NEW GUEST

Soaked in the torrential downpour
I climb the staircase.
Ahead of me
a frog
along with the chillness
lilting and leaping
climb the steps
in biting cold
toward my abode.
Alas, so big a rain is required
for a new guest to arrive at my door –
Before I could say it
a deafening thunder
As it burst out of the sky
from the Age of Nova
and landed somewhere faraway
the frog and myself blinked
terror-struck.
The next moment
closing the door
we hid ourselves in a cabin
Very much smaller than Nova’s casket.
Paalainilavan Nilavan

புதிய விருந்தினர்.
கொட்டும் மழையில்
நனைந்து
மாடிப்படியேறுகின்றேன்
எனக்கு முன்பே
ஒரு
தவளை
மழைக் குளிருடன்
குதித்து
குதித்து
என் வீட்டை நோக்கி
அத்தனை குளிருடன்
படியேறுகின்றது
ஒரு
புத்தம் புதிய விருந்தினர்
வருவதற்கு
இப்படி ஒரு
மஹா மழை வர வேண்டியிருக்கின்றதே
என்பதற்குள்
ஒரு
பேரிடி
அது
நோவா காலத்திலிருந்து
வானிலிருந்து
எங்கோ விழவும்
ஒரு
கணம்
நானும்
தவளையும்
பீதியுற
கண்களை மூடித் திறந்தோம்
மறுகணம்
கதவைச் சாத்தி
நோவாவின்
பேழையை விட
மிகவும்
சிறியதொரு அறையில்
ஒளிந்து கொண்டோம்.

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE