INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, April 1, 2023

SHANMUGAM SUBRAMANIAM

 TWO POEMS BY

SHANMUGAM SUBRAMANIAM


Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

(1)

A day with none

An hour with everyone
A minute not being even with me
A moment of another with me
The meditative calm born after growing weary of talking
The lips of the moment sans speech
Between these the warmth with love in tact
The heat of the moist touch
drenched In the dream sprouting in
waking up in the well of night
The soft-ripening of the reddish glow
settling on the adjacent room’s window
Avoiding one side while turning on the other
the fingers start moving apart.
For another awakening
the time is not yet ripe.
Yet in the never-fading dream of another
I keep strolling for ever.
Shanmugam Subramaniam
ஒருவருடனுமில்லா ஒருநாள்
எல்லோருடனுமிருந்த ஒருமணி நேரம்
என்னுடனுமில்லா ஒருநிமிடம்
என்னுடனிருந்த பிறனது ஒருநொடி
பேசி அலுத்தபின்னெழுந்த மோனம்
பேசாதிருந்த கணத்தின் அதரங்கள்
இவற்றிற்கிடையில் நேசம் தப்பாத இதம்
இடையிரவு விழித்தலில் கிளைத்து
மறையும் கனவில் நனைந்த
தீண்டலின் வெம்மை
அடுத்த அறையின் சாளரத்தில் பதியும்
செவ்வொளியின் மென்முதிர்வு
ஒருபுறம் தவிர்த்து மறுபுறம் திரும்புகையில்
விலகத் துவங்குகின்றன விரல்கள்
பிறிதொரு விழிப்பிற்கு
இன்னும் நேரமாகவில்லை
ஆயினும் அருகில் புரளும்
மற்றொருரவரின் கலையாத கனாவில்
எனது ஓயா நடை.

-எஸ். சண்முகம் -

(2)

No matter how many a time I give for setting right
the wrist watch which invariable slows down
‘Everything is quite alright’ says the watch-repair man
returning the watch.
‘Well, we can try changing the battery
and see’ said he.
Is it only when I tie it in my left hand wrist
that the magic of slowing down takes place
Walking a little distance hurriedly
wondering whether if I walk fast
the wrist watch would speed past
I walked hurriedly for some distance
but slowed down eventually.
Would it have been better if I had purchased
a wrist watch with round dial…
But the clock-movement is the same
Whatever the shape be.
Resolving to tie for some days in my right hand
the watch
which I had tied in my left hand always
I started doing so.
After two days
it began showing the exact time.
All those who came across
instead of seeing me first
looked at my wrist watch primarily
and only then at myself.
Since the time he saw the watch
perched on my right wrist
my neighbour at the opposite door
has talked to me no more.

எத்தனை முறை சரிசெய்தாலும்
தாமதமாக நேரத்தைக் காண்பிக்கும் கைகடிகாரத்தை
சரிசெய்ய கொடுத்தாலும்
எல்லாம் சரியாகத்தான் உள்ளது என்று
திருப்பித் தருகிறார் கடிகார பழுதுநீக்குபவர்
வேண்டுமானால் பாட்டரியை மாற்றிப் பார்க்கலாம் என்றார்
இடதுகை மணிக்கட்டில் அணியும்போதுதான்
தாமதமாக ஓடுகிற விநோதம் நிகழ்கிறதோ
அந்த ரோமன் எண்கள் கொண்ட செவ்வக கைக்கடிகாரம்
கொஞ்சம் வேகமாய் நடந்தால் துரிதமாய் ஓடுமோ
என்ற எண்ணத்தில் சிறிது தூரம் நடந்தபின்
நான் தாமாதமாகிவிட்டேன்
ஒருவேளை வட்டமுகமுள்ள கைக்கடிகாரத்தை
வாங்கியிருக்கலாமோ
எல்லா வடிவங்களிலும் சுழற்சி ஒன்றுதான்
இதுவரை இடதுகையில் கட்டியிருந்ததை மாற்றி
வலதுகையில் சிலநாட்கள் கட்டலாமென தீர்மானித்து
வலதுகையில் கட்ட ஆரம்பித்தேன்
இரண்டு நாட்களுக்கு பிறகு
சரியான நேரத்தைக் காண்பிக்கத் துவங்கிவிட்டது
பார்ப்போரெல்லாம் முதலில் என்னைப் பார்ப்பதைவிடுத்து
கைக்கடிகாரத்தை பார்த்தபின்னரே
என்னைப் பார்த்தனர்
எதிர்வீட்டுக்காரர் ஒருமுறை
என் வலதுகை மணிக்கட்டில் கைக்கடிகாரத்தைக் கண்டது முதல்
என்னுடன் பேசுவதையே நிறுத்திக் கொண்டார்.
-எஸ்.சண்முகம்-

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE