INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Saturday, October 7, 2023

FIROSKHAN JAMALDEEN

 A POEM BY 

FIROSKHAN JAMALDEEN


Rendered in English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


NIGHT MENDICANT
With the barks and howls of midnight dogs
the night lies disarrayed
For having given me the opportunity
to view the stars above
the terrace of the house opposite
through the window of my cabin
I thank the street dogs.
The tea that rejuvenates my waking up
made me leave my room and climb down.
In the well of night with the entire town fast sleep
I walk along the roadside.
With the heart’s pain subsiding gradually
I wade through the road further and further.
Those blue-eyed dogs
pursue me
increasing the volume of their barking.
Fear gripping, I walk fast.
The dogs swell in number
I can’t wade through the road
any more.
I have got stuck in a dead-end lane.
The dogs that followed
lie ahead of me
curling their tails and kneeling down.
Surprised I turn to the right
A night mendicant with the leaf with leftover food
is waiting for the dogs.

ராத்திரி யாசகன் – 05

நிசி நாய்களின் கத்தலினால்
சலனப்பட்டுக்கிடக்கிறது இரவு
எனதறையின் சன்னல் வழியாக
எதிர் வீட்டு மொட்டை மாடி மேலாக
நட்சத்திரத்தை ரசிக்க வாய்ப்பளித்த
தெரு நாய்களுக்கு நன்றி.
விழிப்பை உற்சாகப்படுத்திய தேநீர்
எனதறையை விட்டு கீழுறங்கி வர செய்தது.
ஊரே உறங்கிப் போன நடு நிசியில்
நான் சாலையோரமாக நடக்கிறேன்.
மனசின் நோவு குறைய குறைய
நான் இன்னுமின்னும் சாலையை கடக்கிறேன்
அந்த நீலக் கண்களுடைய நாய்கள்
என்னை பின் தொடர்கிறது
தனது கத்தலை விரித்தவாறு.
நான் பயம் கொண்டு வேகமாக நடக்கிறேன்
நாய்கள் ஒன்றுக்கு இரண்டாக சேர்ந்து கொள்கிறது.
இனியும் அந்த சாலையை கடக்க முடியாது
முட்டுச் சந்துக்குள் மாட்டிக் கொண்டேன்.
பின் வந்த நாய்கள் எனக்கு முன்பாக
படுத்துக் கொண்டது.
தனது வாலை சுருட்டி மண்டியிட்டு.
ஆச்சரியப்பட்டு வலது பக்கமாக திரும்புகிறேன்
இரவு யாசகனொருவன் மீதமான சாப்பாட்டு இலையுடன்
நாய்களுக்காக காத்திருந்தான்.

All reactions:
Ratnasabapathy Mahendran Mullaiamuthan and Tharik Thaski

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE