INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Thursday, July 20, 2023

KATHIR BHARATHI

 A POEM BY

KATHIR BHARATHI

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)

BURDENED WITH NAME

It was when I escaped from the pull of the river
which would make you fall with its swirl and whirl
that I saw for the first time
my name shivering and swaying.
On another instance
escaping from the snake that blocked the way
running in the opposite direction
fleeing away
my name tumbled down suffering scratches and bruises all over.
And also, I realized then
that blood and sweat would flow out of my name
and felt shaken.
If it is snake for me
Mad – dog for thee
Elephant delirious
Leaping six-wheeled wagon
_ it can be anything.
Preserving life means preserving one’s name
-so a lightning flash inside the brain.
The reason for Regina aunt’s suicide
Is not having a child to preserve her name
Is it for this our elders held
that if worse than causing one to die
is defaming his name
better protect it sacrificing your life.
In the unbearable sorrow of
carrying the corpse of my friend
bearing my name
I feel the burden of myself.

பெயர் சுமந்து கனக்கிறேன்
=====================
அதிவேகச் சுழிப்பில் மல்லாத்திவிடும் நதியின் இழுப்பிலிருந்து
தப்பித்து கரையேறியபோதுதான் என் பெயர் முதன்முறையாக
வெடவெடப்பில் ஆடியதைக் கவனித்தேன்.
பிறிதொருகணத்தில் வழிமறித்த நாகத்திடமிருந்து எதிர்த்திசையிலோடி
பயம் தடுக்கி விழுந்ததில் கைகால் முகமென
எங்கும் சிராய்ப்புகள் பெயருக்கு.
தவிரவும், அன்றுதான் ரத்தமும் வியர்வையும் பெயரிலிருந்து
வழியுமென்பது தெரிய வந்து திடுக்கிட்டேன்.
எனக்கு நாகமெனில் உங்களுக்கு
சித்தம் கலங்கிய நாய்
பித்தம் தலைக்கேறிய யானை
ஆறுசக்கரப் பாய்ச்சலோடு வந்த வாகனம்
எதுவாகவும் இருக்க வாய்ப்பு இருக்கிறது.
உயிரைக் காத்தல் என்பது பெயரைக் காத்தல்தான்
என்று பளிச்சிடுகிறது மூளைக்குள் மின்னலொன்று.
பெயர் சொல்ல பிள்ளை இல்லையென்பதுதான்
நாண்டுகொண்ட ரெஜினா சித்தி பிணமாகக் காரணம்.
உயிரை எடுப்பதைக் காட்டிலும் கீழானது
பெயரைக் கெடுப்பதெனில்
உயிரைக் கொடுத்தாவது பெயரைக் கா என்று
இதற்குதான் சொன்னார்களோ பெரியோர்.
என் பெயர்க் கொண்ட நண்பனின் பிணத்தைச்
சுமந்து செல்லும் துக்கத்தில் உணர்கிறேன்
நான் கனப்பதை.

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE