INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, April 29, 2022

IYYAPPA MADHAVAN

 TWO POEMS BY

IYAPPA MADHAVAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan (*First Draft)

(1)


At night while retiring for the day
I get into a meditative state
like the Buddha
At dawn
its composure collapses
In the salty air of the city
body and mind
turn rotten
In scenes seen during day
pathos of sorrows all the way
A puppy is hit by the bus
and is on the throes of death
Leaves crash down from the trees
in thick clusters.
There goes crossing the road
a visually impaired man
tapping the ground with his White cane.
Someone sobs uncontrollably for something
Someone has ceased to be
all too suddenly;
A mother has killed her children
slashing their necks
In the solitary night nothing else is seen
except different shapes and shades of quietude
when Buddha entwines his hand in the night
I voluntarily lose my ‘I’
Then, upon Enlightenment
my pillows lie.

Iyyappa Madhavan

இரவு உறங்கும் வேளை புத்தனைப் போல தியானத்திற்கு செல்கிறேன்
விடியலில் அதன் சமநிலை குலைகிறது
நரகத்தின் உப்புக்காற்றில்
உடலும் மனமும் சீர்கெடுகிறது
பகலில் தென்படும் காட்சிகளில்
சோகங்கள் மேலெழுகின்றன
ஒரு நாய்க்குட்டி பேருந்தில் அடிபட்டு உயிர்விடப் போகிறது
மரங்களிலிருந்து இலைகள் கூட்டம் கூட்டமாய் வீழ்கின்றன
கண் தெரியாதவன் குட்டியைத் தட்டித் தட்டிச் சாலைக் கடக்கிறான்
யாரோ எதுக்காகவோ கதறி அழுகிறார்கள்
ஒருவன் அகால மரணமடைந்திருக்கிறான்
ஒரு தாய் தன் குழந்தைகளை கழுத்தை அறுத்துக் கொன்றிருக்கிறாள்
தனித்திருக்கும் இரவில் அமைதியின் உருவங்கள் தவிர வேறேதும் தெரியவில்லை
புத்தன் இரவுகளில் கைகோக்கும் பொழுது
என்னை நானே தொலைத்துக்கொள்கிறேன்
அப்போது ஞானத்தின் மீது என் தலையணை.


(2)
As a droplet of rain slipping off the hand
your fingers try to find release from my clasp
I hold it fast as the flower held by the plant
The succor and solace you have offered
as shades under the scorching heat
I fondly recall
You are like the rain
in the barren desert terrain
With the hot sand cooling
I felt your mercy in my feet
In your heart as clusters of cloud
in White pristine
you have collected and stored my songs of loneliness.
In those lines
My childhood might be brimming
As a withered leaf leaving the tree and running away
I would be pursuing you always.
The anguishes trickling at the corner
of your eyes
I would stroke with my soft finger
The way I circle you as air _
You remain unaware…….


கையை விட்டு நழுவும் ஒரு மழைத்துளியை போல உன் விரல்கள் என் பிடியிலிருந்து நழுவப் பார்க்கின்றன
ஒரு செடி தாங்கும் மலரைப் போல இறுகப் பற்றிக் கொள்கிறேன்
கொடிய வெயிலின் கீழ் படரும் நிழல்களைப் போல நீ தந்த ஆறுதல்களை நினைத்துக் கொள்கிறேன்
பாலைவனத்தில் திடீரென பெய்யும் மழையைப் போன்றவள் நீ
சுடுமணல் குளிர்ந்து
பாதங்களில் உன் இரக்கத்தை உணர்ந்தேன்
வெண்மை பொதிந்த மேகம் போன்ற உன் மனதில்
என் தனிமைப் பாடல்களை சேகரித்து வைத்திருக்கிறாய்
அதன் வரிகளில் என் குழந்தைமை
நிறைந்திருக்க கூடும்
மரம் விட்டு ஓடும் ஒரு சருகை போல ஓடும் உன் பின்னால் நானும் வந்து கொண்டிருப்பேன்
உன் விழியோரம் கசியும் வேதனைகளை
என் மெல்லிய விரல்களால் ஒத்தி எடுப்பேன்
காற்றைப் போன்று உன்னை சுற்றிக் கொண்டிருப்பதை நீ அறிந்திருக்கவில்லை.














No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE