INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Thursday, May 11, 2023

RAMESH PREDAN


TWO POEMS BY

 RAMESH PREDAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


1. ARIKAMEDU


In this region of land wherever you dig

You get ancient scripts
scraped potsherds
Just so
As I keep digging you
I alien to me
emerge out of thee
With all my decay and rottenness
Identifying my antiquity
Ho, what at all you hope to retrieve
In whatever you find
the whole of my life
would not crystallize.
My Time can’t be contained
within what you find
Accessing just a handful of verses
of the great epic lost
and fashioning the entire text
with your fictional constructs
is not intellectual integrity at all
Don’t excavate me when I am sleeping
The noise of piercing with the crowbar
and collecting with the spade
injures the dream.
The night with eyes all over its face
is enthralled by my charming way of sleeping.
All dark hours
are hiding Life from Death
Vessels of foreigners arrive on a daily basis
to Arikamedu
In the swelling crowd
I search for thee
Will my face of more than a century ago
verily remain etched in your memory?
One day surely I would return to Podouke
Till that time wait for me - okay
_ So you ordained me and left afar
Today we keep exhuming each other.
The marine water receding and penetrating underground
drenches the fingers.
* Arikamedu is an archaeological site in Southern
India,
○ அரிக்கமேடு
இந்த நிலப்பகுதியில்
எங்கே தோண்டினாலும்
தொன்மையான எழுத்துருக்கள் கீறப்பட்ட
பானையோடுகள் கிடைப்பதைப்போல்
உன்னைத் தோண்டத் தோண்ட
நானறியாத நான்
என்னுடைய சிதைவுகளோடு
உன்னிலிருந்து வெளிப்படுகிறேன்
எனது தொண்மையை அடையாளம் கண்டு
எதை மீட்டெடுக்கப்போகிறாய்?
நீ கண்டறியும் எதிலும்
என் வாழ்வின் முழுமை உருத்திரளப்போவதில்லை
உனது அறிதலின் வரையறைக்குள்
எனது காலம் அடங்காது
தொலைந்த காப்பியத்தின்
சில பாக்களை மட்டும் கண்டெடுத்து
உனது புனைவுகளால்
முழுப்பனுவலையும் யாத்தல்
அறிவு நேர்மையாகாது
நான் தூங்கும்போது
என்னைத் தோண்டாதே
கடப்பாரையால் குத்தி
மண்வெட்டியால் வாரும் ஒலி
கனவைக் காயப்படுத்துகிறது
முகமெங்கும் கண்கள்கொண்ட இரவு
நான் தூங்கும் அழகைப் பார்த்து மயங்குகிறது
இருண்டப் பொழுதுகள் யாவும்
உயிர்வாழ்க்கையை
இறப்பிடமிருந்து மறைத்துவைக்கின்றன
அரிக்கமேடு துறைமுகத்திற்கு
யவன நாவாய்கள் நாள்தோறும் வந்துசேர்கின்றன
கூட்டநெரிசலில் உன்னைத் தேடுகிறேன்
நூற்றாண்டு கடந்த என் முகம்
உனது நினைவில் நிலைத்திருக்குமா?
காலத்தில் ஒருநாள்
புதுக்கேவுக்குத் திரும்பி வருவேன்
அதுவரை காத்திருக்கப்
பணித்துப்போனாய்
இன்று ஒருவரையொருவர் தோண்டிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறோம்
நிலத்தடியில் உள்வாங்கி ஊடுருவும் கடல்நீர்
விரல்களை நனைக்கிறது.

Ramesh Predan       



No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE