INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Sunday, June 21, 2020

IYYAPPA MADHAVAN'S POEMS

TWO POEMS BY 
IYYAPPA MADHAVAN


Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


(1)

A star seen yesterday smiles at me today also
Why am I here - I know not
Why it is there, it knows not
Both go on, bewildered.
It’s existence and that of mine are not one
and the same
I would die, being mortal
That would remain, for it is eternal
There is substance in its laughing at me
But, how can I laugh at it?
Deadly virus is pursuing me
Grasshoppers are hunting me
I am a weakling
Anything can end me
But Star is star and so it will ever be.



நேற்று பார்த்த நட்சத்திரம் இன்றும் என்னைப் பார்த்துச் சிரிக்கிறது
நான் ஏன் இருக்கிறேன் என்று அதற்குப் புரியவில்லை
அது ஏன் இருக்கிறதென்று எனக்குப் புரியவில்லை
இருவரும் புரியாமலேயே இருக்கிறோம்
என்னிருப்பும் அதனிருப்பும் வேறு வேறானது
நான் செத்துப்போவேன் அதாவது நான் அநித்யம்
அது இருக்கும் அது நித்யம்
அது என்னைப் பார்த்துச் சிரிப்பதில் அர்த்தமிருக்கிறது
அதைக் கண்டு என்னால் சிரிக்கவே முடியவில்லை
என்னை நோய்த் தொற்றுத் துரத்துகிறது
வெட்டுக்கிளி விரட்டுகிறது
நான் பலகீனன்
என் உயிரை எதுவும் பறிக்கலாம்
நட்சத்திரம் நட்சத்திரம்தான்.


(2)
In the rainy night owls scream inside my head
unfolding terrible scenes
I lay there as Quietude upon the dark
like none beside
The waterholes opened by the sky remained so,
not knowing why
Houses in the night caused fear in me
as if ghost was hiding somewhere
The present was dangling at the ridge of Death
With the sapping heat burnt the day
I remained there hearing the moan of the town
with its flesh charred
Forcing the night to lie down all drenched
the rain was making love violently.
I lay there with sleep proving elusive,
thinking of the lost future in the horrible aloneness
widespread in the hellish city
as being non-being
When the sun rises in the east
I would have returned from yesterday
to a new tomorrow
With fresh new fears galore .


மழையிரவினுள் தலைக்குள் ஆந்தைகள் அலறுகின்றன விபரீத காட்சிகள் தோன்றும்விதமாக
இருட்டின் மீது அமைதியைப் போல் படுத்திருந்தேன் யாரும் அருகில் இல்லாதது போல
வானம் திறந்த நீர்த்துளைகள் மூடாதிருந்தது எதற்கென்று தெரியாமல்
நிசியில் வீடுகள் பேய் ஒளிந்திருப்பதான பாவனையில் பயமுறுத்திக்கொண்டிருந்தன
நிகழ்காலம் சாவின் விளிம்பில் தொக்கி உலகை அச்சத்தில் சாய்த்திருந்தன
வெயில் பகலை எரித்து போது சதைகள் வெந்த ஊரின் முனகலைக் கேட்டிருந்தேன்
இரவை மழை ஈரத்தில் வீழ்த்தி கடுமையாய்ப் புணர்ந்துகொண்டிருந்தது
நானோ நித்திரை வராது எதிர்காலம் தொலைந்த நினைவில் நரகம் பீடித்த நகரில் விரிந்த தனிமையில் வீழ்ந்துகிடந்தேன் இருப்பை உணராமல்
சூரியன் உதிக்கும் பொழுது நான் நேற்றிலிருந்து புதிய நாளைக்குத் திரும்பியிருப்பேன் புதிய பயங்களுடன்
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - JULY - SEPTEMBER, 2024