INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Monday, August 31, 2026

CHOZHAN VAALARIVAN

 A POEM BY 

CHOZHAN VAALARIVAN 

Rendered in English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


THE LION

Many a month

I had been treading all alone in the jungle

one day I turned and looked

a lion was walking along with me

It didn’t see me

I too didn’t see it.

we both were walking in the same direction.

we crossed the rivers

got drenched in rain

During nights

it lay a little away

at morning when I wake up

it would have got up well before me.

i had fear.

it had nothing of that sort.

did it come to protect me

or did it leave me without devouring

i know not

days turned into months\one day

i reached the edge of the jungle.

there were people

there were houses

There were mirrors

I looked at the lion

It looked at me

In its eyes

There were no demands nor appeals

I didn’t say ‘ Come’

I didn’t say ‘Go’ either

I alone came walking

After a little while I turned and looked.

It was not there

The massive body was not there

Its sere gait was not there

Its silence,  bigger than my fear

was not there

Some species coming into our life is

not for joining us

It is for being with us a short while

showing who we are to ourselves

and leaving.

Now more than jungle it is amidst humans

that I am all the more alone.


சிங்கம்

பல மாதங்களாக

நான் வனத்தில்

தனியாக நடந்துகொண்டிருந்தேன்

ஒரு நாள் திரும்பிப் பார்த்தேன்

ஒரு சிங்கம்

என்னோடு நடந்துகொண்டிருந்தது

அது என்னைப் பார்க்கவில்லை

நானும் அதனைப் பார்க்கவில்லை

நாங்கள் ஒரே திசையில்

நடந்துகொண்டிருந்தோம்

ஆறுகளைக் கடந்தோம்

மழையில் நனைந்தோம்

இரவுகளில்

அது சிறிது தூரத்தில் படுத்துக் கொண்டது

காலையில்

நான் எழும்போது

முன்னதாகவே விழித்திருக்கும்

எனக்குப் பயம் இருந்தது

அதற்கில்லை

அது என்னைக் காக்க வந்ததா

அல்லது என்னைத் தின்னாமல் விட்டதா

எனக்குத் தெரியாது

நாட்கள் மாதங்களாயின

ஒரு நாள்

காட்டின் விளிம்பை அடைந்தேன்

மனிதர்கள் இருந்தார்கள்

வீடுகள் இருந்தன

கண்ணாடிகள் இருந்தன

நான் சிங்கத்தைப் பார்த்தேன்

அது என்னைப் பார்த்தது

அதன் கண்களில்

எந்தக் கோரிக்கையும் இல்லை

வா என்று நான் சொல்லவில்லை

போ என்றும் சொல்லவில்லை

நான் மட்டும் நடந்து வந்தேன்

சிறிது நேரம் கழித்து திரும்பிப் பார்த்தேன்

அது இல்லை

அந்தப் பெரிய உடல் இல்லை

அந்த அமைதியான நடை இல்லை

என் பயத்தைவிட

பெரிய அதன் மௌனம் இல்லை

சில உயிர்கள்

நம் வாழ்க்கைக்குள் வருவது

நம்மோடு இணைவதற்காக அல்ல

நாம் யார் என்பதை

சிறிது நேரம்

நமக்கே காட்டிவிட்டுப்

போகத்தான்

இப்போது

வனத்தைவிட

மனிதர்களிடையேதான்

நான் அதிகமாகத் தனியாக இருக்கிறேன்

சோழன் வாலறிவன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - AUGUST 2026

 INSIGHT AUGUST, 2026 (a bilingual blogspot for contemproary tamil poetry) 2026insight.blogspot.com