INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

JEYADEVAN

 A POEM BY

JEYADEVAN

Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(*First Draft)


I asked the person selling rainbows
whether there are dreams available
He gave me a bag full of dreams and left
Now I am selling them
“Poems are here…. Hey, won’t you have …
poems are here….
I asked the person having Light
where can I get darkness
He showed me the Court of Law
The Goddess of Justice was on the throes of death
at the entrance itself.
I asked her
where can I get Light.
I asked the bride
Did you see Love
She showed me a pond soaked in blood
Lambs and hens and her love were floating there
in caste-blood
I asked he who sowed flowers whether I can get stems
He gave me roots too with the stems and left
Now logs strewn all over my garden
I told the devotee that I wanted to see god
Taking my hand he led me into the sanctum sanctorum
God was collecting the hymns and prayers
scattered there
as a little boy gathering coins invalid.
I asked the person making cots
whether sleep is there for purchase
Can’t lift it said he
and brought it to my home and placed it there
but I have left my eyes in his shop.

வானவில் விற்றுக்கொண்டிருப்பவனிடம் கேட்டேன்
கனவுகள் கிடைக்குமா என்று
ஒரு பை நிறையக் கொடுத்துவிட்டுப் போனான்
இப்போது அதை விற்று கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்
"கவிதை வாங்கலையோ கவிதை"
விளக்கு வைத்திருப்பவனிடம் கேட்டேன்
இருட்டு எங்கே கிடைக்கும் நீதிமன்றத்தை காட்டினான்
நீதிதேவதை வாசலிலேயே
மரித்து கொண்டிருநதாள் .
அவளிடம் கேட்டேன்
விளக்கு எங்கே கிடைக்கும் என்று
கல்யாணப் பெண்ணிடம் கேட்டேன்
காதலை பார்த்தாயா
ரத்தம் தோய்ந்த ஒரு குளத்தைக் காட்டினாள்
ஆடுகளும் கோழிகளும் அவளின் காதலும் அங்கே மிதந்து கொண்டிருந்தன ஜாதி ரத்தத்தில்
பூக்கள் பயிரிட்டவனிடம் கேட்டேன் காம்புகள் கிடைக்குமா என்று
அவன் வேர்களையும் சேர்த்துக் கொடுத்துவிட்டு போனான் இப்போது என் தோட்டம் முழுவதும் விறகுகள்
பக்தனிடம் கேட்டேன் கடவுளைப் பார்க்க வேண்டும் என்று..
கைப்பிடித்து அழைத்துப் போனான் கருவறைக்குள்
சிதறி கிடந்த மந்திரங்களை பொறுக்கி எடுத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தான் கடவுள் .
செல்லாத காசுகளை சேகரிக்கும் சிறுவன் மாதிரி
கட்டில் செய்பவனிடம் கேட்டேன் தூக்கம் கிடைக்குமா என்று
தூக்க முடியாது என்றான்
வீட்டில் கொண்டு வந்து விட்டு விட்டு வந்தான் தூக்கத்தை ..
ஆனால் கண்ணை விட்டுவிட்டு வந்து விட்டேன் அவன் கடையில்

ஜெயதேவன்

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - JULY - SEPTEMBER, 2024