INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, November 12, 2021

SHANMUGAM SUBRAMANIAM

 A POEM BY

SHANMUGAM SUBRAMANIAM


Translated into English by Latha Ramakrishnan(First Draft)



In the midst of a musical piece
the sound of the door opening.
The sound of the footwear of those leaving
Have they bade farewell
I am not sure
I didn’t tell them “See You”.
I lost my focus on listening to the musical piece.
Thinking that I could listen to it another day
I stopped it.
What is that exclusively fulfilling
in wholesomeness
Whatever I have gathered listening that much
_enough.
When they came inside
I welcomed them saying “Please do come”.
But while they were leaving
The way I didn’t tell “See you”
struggling in my mind
They would have crossed
the corner of the street by now.
Unmindful of the difficulty
Saying nothing to my people
Ere I could reach the street-corner
I came upon them.
In an innocent tone
when I enquired when can we meet again
For this you have come all the way
said they
with not a downcast expression.
On returning I closed the door that remained open
and entered inside.
Though bolting the door once again
feeling as if I was standing on the other side _
_ No, this is not my time……
Shanmugam Subramaniam

ஒரு இசைக்கோர்வையின் நடுவில்

கதவுதிறக்கும் ஓசை
வேளியேறுபவர்களது காலணிச் சத்தங்கள்
போய்வருகிறேன் என்று சொன்னார்களோ என்னவோ
போய்வாருங்கள் என்று நான் சொல்லவில்லை
அந்த இசைக்கோர்வையைக் கேட்பதில்
சுணங்கிவிட்டேன்
இன்னொரு நாள் கேட்டுக் கொள்ளலாமென நிறுத்திவிட்டேன்
அப்படியென்ன முழுமையில்
பிரத்யேகமான நிறைவுள்ளது
செவிமடுத்தவரையில் வசப்பட்டதே போதுமானது
அவர்கள் உள்ளே வருகையில்
வாருங்கள் என அழைத்தேன்
விடைபெற்ற தருணத்தில்
போய்வாருங்கள் என சொல்லாமல் விட்டது
ஞாபகத்திற்குள் தத்தளிக்க
தெருமுனையைத் தாண்டி இருப்பார்கள்
சிரமத்தைக் கணக்கில் கொள்ளாமல்
வீட்டிலுள்ளவரிடம் எதுவும் சொல்லாமல்
வேகமாக தெருமுனை அடையும் முன்பே
அவர்களை அடைந்துவிட்டேன்
தவறிழைக்காத தொனியில்
அடுத்து எப்போது வருகீறீர்கள் என்றதும்
வாட்டமில்லாத முகபாவத்துடன்
இதற்காகவா இவ்வளவு தூரம் வந்தீர்களென்றனர்
திரும்பியதும் மூடாதிருந்த வாசல்கதவைச் சாத்திவிட்டு
உள்ளே நுழைந்தேன்
மறுமுறை கதவைத் தாழிட்டாலும்
அந்தப்பக்கமே நான் நின்றிருப்பதாகத் தோன்ற
இந்நேரம் எனக்கானதல்ல.
- எஸ்.சண்முகம் -

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE