INSIGHT - A BILINGUAL ONLINE MAGAZINE

Friday, October 11, 2019

RAJAJI RAJAGOPALAN's POEM

A POEM BY
RAJAJI RAJAGOPALAN 

Rendered in English by Latha Ramakrishnan 


I asked the birds
whether the sky touches the sea.
They were intent on flying.
I repeated the same question to the waves.
They had no time to respond.
I asked the fisherman the same.
‘What are you?” he enquired.
I sell the SEA in the beach”, said I.
“Go. Finish your work and come.
I will tell you then”, said he.
When I finished selling
here was no sea, nor sky,
just the street leading to my home
could be seen in the glow of light.

(* In Tamil the word ‘kadalai’ (கடலை) means both Sea and Groundnut. This gives the poem a depth and dimension which can’t be retained in the Translation. In a way ‘selling the sea’ and selling groundnut’ symbolize ‘living’ and the way of living. Much more to say…. Latha Ramakrishnan)

வானம் கடலைத் தொடுகிறதாவென்று
பறவைகளிடம் கேட்டேன்
அவை பறந்து செல்வதில் கவனமாயிருந்தன,
அதே கேள்வியை அலைகளிடம் கேட்டேன்
அவைக்குப் பதில் சொல்ல நேரம் இருக்கவில்லை,
அதையே மீனவனிடமும் கேட்டேன்
உனக்கு என்ன தொழில் என்று கேட்டான்
கடற்கரையில் கடலை விற்கிறேன் என்றேன்.
விற்று முடிந்ததும் வா சொல்கிறேன் என்றான்.
விற்று முடிந்தபோது
கடலையும் காணவில்லை வானத்தையும் காணவில்லை.
வீட்டுக்குப் போகும் தெருதான்
விளக்கொளியில் தெரிந்தது.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSIGHT MARCH 2021

INSIGHT - MARCH - APRIL, 2024 ISSUE